General History/Mississippi River

Question
who named the Mississippi River? Did it already have that name when La Salle explored it or did he name it after the Mississippi Indians in the area?

Answer
Apologies for the time frame.
I think the question may possibly be argued either way.
I used two Geographical dictionaries for research, such as it was and then recalled there are both a 'Mississippi River' and a 'Mississippi Lake' in Ontario, Canada where this response is being composed.
One of the works I consulted explained the word 'Mississippi' has a meaning of 'Great Water(s)'.  Thus the people of Mississippi in terms of the aboriginals would likely have seen themselves as the people of the 'Great Water' or the people residing in territory near the 'Great Water'.
Often the early explorers had difficulty understanding (due to cultural issues along with those of linguistics) how the original North Americans viewed territory and place names for starters.
Thus the explorers, may, themselves, have felt the name Mississippi was already the name of the river which may actually have been seen as a locals' 'description' of the waterway.
A reason for me sitting on the response is due to a conundrum as to the language roots of the aboriginals in terms of use of the name 'Mississippi' here in Ontario as well as in the United States.  Even if we think of the source of the United States' Mississippi being quite far north - that locale is likely at least some fifteen hundred miles away from either Mississippi Lake or Mississippi River in Ontario.
My suggestion is to seek out someone who knows more about the languages of the indigenous peoples and the vocabulary they shared - who also might give a better response to your question as posed.
For this response, I consulted:
Munro, David (ed.) - Oxford Dictionary of the World.  New York:  Oxford University Press:  1995
Hopkins, Daniel (ed.) - Merriam-Webster's Geographical Dictionary:  Third Edition:  Springfield:  2001
Boyer, Paul S. (ed.) - The Oxford Companion to United States History.  New York:  Oxford University Press:  2001
I also have used some of my knowledge of 'primitive languages and cultures' from my educational background - most of this knowledge not being directly related to the indigenous peoples of North America - hence the desire not to suggest this is a definitive response to the question.
You may, if you so desire, ask if there is another available to give another response/opinion about your question.

General History

Rev. Bob Matheson