General History/Fall of the Roman empire

Question
Hi, I am a student. I'm in my senior year of high school doing  research paper. The topic I have chosen is the fall of the Roman Empire. I would like to interview you. The first question I have is how could the fall of the Roman Empire been avoided?

Answer
Hello,

Well, I guess the answer is that nothing last forever.  The Roman Empire lasted for more than 400 years based in Rome, and nearly about a thousand years after that if you count the Holy Roman Empire that controlled most of Central Europe.  What is amazing about the Roman Empire is that it lasted as long as it did.  Empires inevitably change over time.  The fall could have been avoided if an effective Emperor took the Empire in a different direction and effectively mounted a defense against the barbarians, as had been done many times before.  But inevitably, there will be some period of time when the people become divided and less able to defend themselves and when the enemy is particularly strong and well organized.  When that happens, the Empire falls.

- Mike

General History

Michael Troy