General Networking/Lan/Wan/Use of Ethernet cable as T1 patch

Jim wrote at 2009-03-12 17:38:16
If your talking about a strait cable and not a crossover, the pin specs for T-1 and Ethernet are the same. 1-1, 2-2, 4-4, and 5-5.

Rick wrote at 2013-06-01 20:06:35
A Cat5, Cat5e, or Cat6 will work fine in any T1 application that does not require a crossover. The same cabling is used to create Ethernet and T1 cables. In some applications, you may encounter STP, vs UTP, the shielding is to prevent radio signals emanating from, or into the cable, when in such an environment.

T568B and T568A are both straight through cables, I believe the difference is in which are the middle conductors. A T1 only uses pins 1,2, 4, and five. Fastethernet will use three pairs simultaneously to send data.

Current and Radio frequencies are related in that, both are electrical energy that varies from a positive to a negative voltage value, however, current is the ability of electricity to do work. Voltage is the Potential to do work, current is the actual stream of electrons moving through a wire, creating  energy. Imagine voltage as a dam. When water is released from the dam, it flows, this would be analogous to current, just like "the current in a river"

Both T1s and Ethernet signals are digital, they have two voltage states, I think -6 volts represents a zero, and + 6 represents a one. T1s generally use Time Division Multiplexing, and were the original "networks" before DARPA and others developed the modern internet.

General Networking/Lan/Wan

Ralph Becker