General Networking/Lan/Wan/DNS servers and settings

I know I can specify which DNS server IP to use in two separate pieces of equipment, a personal computer and in the router.  If the computer I am using has a different DNS server IP than the router does, which piece of equipment is going to decide which DNS server gets used?  Will the router override the computer or vice versa?

Thank You for your time.

Hi Corb, and thanks for your question.

When you set up the DNS information in the router, that is what is used by the router's DHCP server when dynamic IP addresses are assigned.  Think of the router's DNS info as the default.  If you prefer to use a different DNS server on your computer or other device, whatever you set in the device will be used, overriding the router setting.

Hope this helps.

General Networking/Lan/Wan

Ralph Becker

General networks, including LAN (ethernet, cable modem, DSL), dialup (modems), WAN (frame relay, ATM), and other related networking technologies.

I have worked for 20 years in various network companies, in capacities including development, customer service, and operations.
Check out my bio/ratings page!