General Networking/Lan/Wan/Home server network issue

I am asking you as you are for networking, although this issue is with a home server, the server works I think its a lan network issue to see it.

I wanted to build my own server at home, (Done) I followed this tutorial

Now I am down to the test your web server, about half way down the page.

while creating the server I got the servers etho ip as so by this stage from my laptop i should be able to and get the server home page or should I say it works page

But I do not get this insted i get

the connection was reset

The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

So the next step I took was to do a ping test ping results 4 packets sent 4 packets received approx round trip 6 milli seconds.

now i can ping the server and the router. but via the browser i can only see the router.

I know i must be missing something stupid, firewalls off by the way, running windows 8 on laptop

I just cannot see what as this should be working.

I hope you understand where I am coming from and really hope you can help. I am a volunteer on here  myself so I thought i would give it a try as a user.

Hi Stuart,

This isn't quite my area of expertise per se.  Sure I have built a few web servers in my time, but all of them were on Windows and not one on Linux.  LOL - the last one that I did was probably like 4-5 years ago.  :-)

So I'm not going to be able to offer highly targeted advice, I would certainly be able to offer you a few observations via trouble-shooting 101.

1. You already did a successful ping test, so basic networking is clearly ok between the client and server.
2. You get a valid http failure message from the server - it is resetting your connection attempt.

One problem is that it will be a bit tricky to know IF the web server IS setup correctly and has a default page.  The writer of that page advised that it be built as a "pure server".  Unfortunately, this means that we have NO freak'n GUI or apps to use ON the server for LOCALIZED testing.  OUCH!  If you had a full server version with GUI then it would be easy to try a local browser on the server and see what happens.  This would really help isolate out security and permissions issues for network-based connections.

Ok so that aside .... what isn't working?  Well it seems pretty likely that this is a permissions issue.  BUT - this theory ASSUMES (and we both know what that word means), that the web server is actually up and running AND that there is a valid default page for that URL/IP.  So ... if the assumption is correct then the Web server itself appears to be refusing your attempted connection.

Personally I find it pretty simple to set permissions on windows-based stuff and I really can't offer too much good advice about how to set permissions in that linux environment appropriately.   But this is my expectation, having done similar stuff in the past.

I do wish you luck and sorry that I can't offer more of "hey here is what is wrong and exactly how to fix it".

General Networking/Lan/Wan

Jeff K

Specialist in leveraging technology toward fulfilling a customer's business objectives: enhancing revenues and giving them a competitive advantage in the marketplace.

Networks: architecture, design, monitoring and trouble-shooting
Technologies: Bandwidth Management (QoS), WAN Optimization, Application Performance Management (APM), User Experience Management

Over 20 years in computers and networking. Strong, broad-based expertise from years in Operations and Sales Engineering at major corporations and hardware vendors.

B.A., various courses in computers and networking as well as many many years of OJT (on the job training) and real-world experience.