General Networking/Lan/Wan/Home server network issue

Question
Hi

I am asking you as you are for networking, although this issue is with a home server, the server works I think its a lan network issue to see it.

I wanted to build my own server at home, (Done) I followed this tutorial

http://www.the-web-book.com/build-your-own-webserver.html

Now I am down to the test your web server, about half way down the page.

while creating the server I got the servers etho ip as 192.168.0.6 so by this stage from my laptop i should be able to http://192.168.0.6 and get the server home page or should I say it works page

But I do not get this insted i get

the connection was reset

The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
moments.
If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
connection.
If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

So the next step I took was to do a ping test ping results 4 packets sent 4 packets received approx round trip 6 milli seconds.

now i can ping the server and the router. but via the browser i can only see the router.

I know i must be missing something stupid, firewalls off by the way, running windows 8 on laptop

I just cannot see what as this should be working.

I hope you understand where I am coming from and really hope you can help. I am a volunteer on here  myself so I thought i would give it a try as a user.

Thanks

Answer
Hi Stuart,

This isn't quite my area of expertise per se.  Sure I have built a few web servers in my time, but all of them were on Windows and not one on Linux.  LOL - the last one that I did was probably like 4-5 years ago.  :-)

So I'm not going to be able to offer highly targeted advice, I would certainly be able to offer you a few observations via trouble-shooting 101.

1. You already did a successful ping test, so basic networking is clearly ok between the client and server.
2. You get a valid http failure message from the server - it is resetting your connection attempt.

One problem is that it will be a bit tricky to know IF the web server IS setup correctly and has a default page.  The writer of that page advised that it be built as a "pure server".  Unfortunately, this means that we have NO freak'n GUI or apps to use ON the server for LOCALIZED testing.  OUCH!  If you had a full server version with GUI then it would be easy to try a local browser on the server and see what happens.  This would really help isolate out security and permissions issues for network-based connections.

Ok so that aside .... what isn't working?  Well it seems pretty likely that this is a permissions issue.  BUT - this theory ASSUMES (and we both know what that word means), that the web server is actually up and running AND that there is a valid default page for that URL/IP.  So ... if the assumption is correct then the Web server itself appears to be refusing your attempted connection.

Personally I find it pretty simple to set permissions on windows-based stuff and I really can't offer too much good advice about how to set permissions in that linux environment appropriately.   But this is my expectation, having done similar stuff in the past.

I do wish you luck and sorry that I can't offer more of "hey here is what is wrong and exactly how to fix it".

J

General Networking/Lan/Wan

Jeff K