General Networking/Lan/Wan/Security settings of a P2P network

Question
I know that peer to peer is not a well secured network compared to Client/Server network. But What are the few security settings that can be configured or put in place for a P2P network?

Answer
Hello Steve,

This is a classic Networking fundamentals question. But, I'll try to give you some pointers.
Your basic challenge would be to Encrypt the P2P Network traffic and to anonymizing the peers.
P2P Encryption will be secured and the data stream will be quite harder to detect, thus make it
less of a target. To detect encrypted data stream you will need a sophisticated software to start, and spend more time and effort than unencrypted traffic.
Anonymous P2P will protect the identities of the nodes and users on the network is accomplished by making all nodes universal senders and receivers of data, thus they can't be distinguished if a peer's receiving data or just passing it along.
It's possible to trust Anonymous P2P as a tool to hide file sharing, however combing with Encryption you can provide fairly secure P2P network.
I'm sure you can use some better technology, but at what cost?
Beside, you need to read more about it. This is just a basic ideas and you need to expand on it.
Please read the book.
Here's a good article about P2P security by Allan Friedman, 2007.
http://allan.friedmans.org/papers/P2Psecurity.pdf

I hope that helps,

MK
MK Computer consulting

General Networking/Lan/Wan

MK