General Networking/Lan/Wan/Network cabling


Jeff K. wrote at 2013-11-23 02:40:39
What I would add is there are 2 common standards for Ethernet wiring: 568a and 568b.  B is the more common method but either works fine.  You merely need to use the same method, a or b, on both sides of the same individual cable run, regardless of whether you terminate the cable in a block or a standard cable rj-45 jack.  I like using small blocks on both sides of cable runs, as they are clearly marked for what color goes where, for both a or b - whatever you prefer.  Though I always use b personally.  

General Networking/Lan/Wan

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


John Crout


Can answer questions about Architecture, FedRamp, NIST requirements, and actor roles. Cannot answer questions that are platform-specific to Windows.


Securing systems since 1982. Tip: Switching from a system that is (statistically) more prevalent to one that is less prevalent will help. 15 years supporting small business use of Windows and Linux networks and systems. Development software. NIST Cloud Security Working Group Contributor.

Information Systems Security Association, (ISC)2, ACM



©2017 All rights reserved.