General Networking/Lan/Wan/Network cabling

Interested to see your response to a question I had in class that I totally flopped on.  I really have no comprehension of what is being read or possibly some insight from your answer might help my debate.

Question was:

Your boss wants to know if a UTP cable wired as shown in the diagram below will work.

Prepare a memo to your boss commenting on his question.

1 ----------- 3
  2 ----------- 6
  3 ----------- 1
  4 ----------- 7   
  5 ----------- 8
  6 ----------- 2
  7 ----------- 4
  8 ----------- 1   

Of course, no need to answer in memo format but would be interested in your comments and what they would be.

The question gives pinouts for connectors; one one each end of an unshielded twisted pair cable.  UTP is often used for phone lines.  Note that the 8-pin connectors are also used on Ethernet cables.  The pinouts show 8 pins which correspond to 4, 2-wire pairs.  Each pair is represented by a color: orange, blue, green and brown.  Each color appears as a stripe on a white background and as a solid color.  

This page on Wikipedia shows two tables.  They're also shown here:  They differ in their application.  One is for Ethernet, the other is for telephone.  For telephone, think of ring/tip as +/-.  (The reason why isn't relevant here).

Does this help?  

General Networking/Lan/Wan

John Crout

Can answer questions about Architecture, FedRamp, NIST requirements, and actor roles. Cannot answer questions that are platform-specific to Windows.

Securing systems since 1982. Tip: Switching from a system that is (statistically) more prevalent to one that is less prevalent will help. 15 years supporting small business use of Windows and Linux networks and systems. Development software. NIST Cloud Security Working Group Contributor.

Information Systems Security Association, (ISC)2, ACM