General Networking/Lan/Wan/Wifi repeater that doesnt create a new network connection

Hi John,

Can you suggest a wifi booster that doesn't make a new network connection? I'm looking for one that boosts the existing signal. Half my house has wifi, the other doesn't. I've tried two d-link boosters but the don't work too well and I have to change connections very time I walk into another room.
I just a tried the dlink n300, but it too just adds a new network.

Hi Cory,

The dlink n300 is a repeater/extender. This means that it does exactly that, repeat the signal in another location. What you need is an antenna booster. Basically the problem are the antennas in your existing router. The router is either in a location that does not reach everywhere or if you can't move it or the house is just too big, you need to increase the signal. This can be achieved by changing the antenna (if possible on your router like if it unscrews)or plugging an antenna booster. But of course, the stronger it is, the more people around you can see it and it causes security issues as well. I included an article at the bottom for you to read and few links.

Here are a couple of ideas you can google to see local stores afterwards. I have never purchased from these vendors online so I cannot recommend them however it gives you an idea what to look for:

Articles to read:

You can also use power line adapters as a second option:

Hope this guides you in the right direction and answers your question. If you need more help simply post a follow up to this question.

Wishing you a great day!

General Networking/Lan/Wan

John Teodoro

I have over 20 years of experience in computer troubleshooting, networking and repairs as well as electronics. I can answer questions concerning Windows Server 2003/2008/2008R2 and 2012. Hardware repair and upgrades as well as questions regarding Windows XP/7/8. I have also developed a speciality with Hyper-V the last year. If I don't know it, I will try my very best to find the answer.

I have worked both as a Technical Director and Information Technology Manager and I also operated a home-based computer consulting business for many years, which included the installation, update and security of computer systems and Windows servers. I have also drafted many IT Plans and consultation reports for specific recommendations.

My experience ranges from Project Planning to finding different networking solutions for companies. My work has demanded that I keep informed and this has always allowed me to be proactive by keeping up to date with technology; this involves researching and learning on a day to day basis, which I find to be fundamental.

I have also co-produced and edited a number of films so I can offer a vast knowledge on the subject.

Some of my credentials include:
Currently Studying for CISSP (2016)
Linux Security (2016)
SharePoint 2013 (2013)
Microsoft Canada Office 365 (2013)
ITIL 2011 Foundations Certification (2012)
Microsoft Small Business Server 2003 (2007)
Telephony repair and maintenance (2000) - Bell Canada
ISO 9000 Internal Auditor (1999) - SGS SCI Canada Inc.
Signature Service Consumer Relations (1999) - Wilson Learning Worldwide.
Certified Novell Administrator CNA (1998) Intranetware 4.11
Micro-Computer Technology, Troubleshooting and Networking (1998)
Electronics Troubleshooting and Repairs (1990-1991)
Office Systems Technology (1989-1990)
Owner of Cutthroat Pictures Co-Owner of Icebreaker Films