General Networking/Lan/Wan/Question for scott

Dear expert

I have D-link wireless router downstairs in the basement. Every time I try to receive wireless access upstairs with my laptop, my computer ask me to put the network security key. I don't know where can I find the security key. I tried to access my router's settings by typing in the browser, but I did not find the network security key. Please let me know where can I find this key or how to disable the security key in order for the laptop to receive internet from the router downstairs.

I can not move the router from its location because I have to keep the router connected to the desktop computer downstairs.

Every few days I have to press the reset button on the back of the router in order to prevent my laptop from asking me to put the network security key. Please let me know your alternatives.

Thank you

If you do a full reset of the router, it should remove the password completely. If pressing the reset button doesn't do it, pull the plug for about 30 seconds. That should stop being prompted, but it will remove the security altogether.

I'm not familiar with that specific router. Usually you cannot find out the password through the router interface, but you can reset it. Its probably under something called WEP security. If you can't find it, you can download a manual from D-Link's web site.

Hope this helps,

General Networking/Lan/Wan

Most general questions on LANs, especially home networks. Some admin and design issue.

I've been an IT Professional for more then 16 years. I've accumulated a larege store of knowledge that allows me to answer a wide variety of IT related questions.