General Networking/Lan/Wan/Routers in network

Can I put multiple routers in a network?

Hi John,

I've changed your question to public so that others may also benefit.

Yes you may put multiple routers in a network.  Most medium and all large networks have multiple routers.  Some of these routers are built into the switch infrastructure.  look up "vlans".

Routers merely divide up networks into subnetworks, for different reasons - segregation, security, to cut down on unwanted broadcast traffic, etc.

Please feel free for follow-up questions, if you like as you question was simple and I suspect you might wish to know more but your question was really a simple yes or no.  And it is a yes.

General Networking/Lan/Wan

Jeff K

Specialist in leveraging technology toward fulfilling a customer's business objectives: enhancing revenues and giving them a competitive advantage in the marketplace.

Networks: architecture, design, monitoring and trouble-shooting
Technologies: Bandwidth Management (QoS), WAN Optimization, Application Performance Management (APM), User Experience Management

Over 20 years in computers and networking. Strong, broad-based expertise from years in Operations and Sales Engineering at major corporations and hardware vendors.

B.A., various courses in computers and networking as well as many many years of OJT (on the job training) and real-world experience.