General Networking/Lan/Wan/Small Office Network (W7)

Question
Hi there,
I have recently started a networking class and was wondering if you could help me out with a few questions. [Please note that I'm not asking for you to do the work for me, I just need some general help.]

"What version of Windows 7 should be used for a small office network?"  -I would say home premium but that can't create homegroups, so would that mean professional would be required to create small office networks?

"Identify the main network hardware and protocols to use."  I don't understand this question. I think hardware is referring to Ethernet cables and stuff (am I right?) but have no idea what it means 'protocols to use'.

Thanks so much for your help! :)
~Liam

Answer
Hi Liam,

First for the version of Windows 7. There are many flavors; starter, home basic, home premium, professional, enterprise and ultimate. But the main thing to remember is that for a network with a server and in which you would be connected to a domain, you cannot use Home versions as they do not have this functionality. So Professional is always the best choice for a small office in my opinion. Unless of course the computer came with Ultimate already installed then no need to downgrade either.

Network hardware can be everything from cables RJ-45. switches, routers, NIC (Network Interface Cards). As for protocols you can sort of think about it as a "language" they talk in. There are many types of protocols such as TCP, UDP, HTTP, FTP and more. When we access the Internet for example, most use TCP/IPv4. When you use an FTP program like Filezilla, you are using the FTP Protocol. If you want a more in depth description you can google what is a network protocol, there are plenty of articles explaining it from a-z.

What I state here is very basic but if you want to know more about Windows 7 flavors and what they contain you can go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7_editions, it describes each version in depth.

I hope this answers your questions, if you need more clarification, simply post a follow up to this question.

Meanwhile I hope this helps and I wish you a great day!
John

General Networking/Lan/Wan

John Teodoro