General Networking/Lan/Wan/ACCESS POINT OR REPEATER

QUESTION: I HAVE A NAS ATTACHED TO LINKSYS E4200 1.0.04  ROUTER VIA USB UPSTAIRS IN MY SONS BEDROOM. Placed it there because he plays games on ps3. I've run an Ethernet cable downstairs in case I got another ps3 one day or other device. My problem is that i get crappy signal and lag in downstairs bedrooms. I get better signal with 2.4 than 5 but still lags. I would like to know what I should get to increase my signal and speed downstairs? Been thinking of buying a media device to connect to the tv in the bedroom downstairs like a roku or something so I can take advantage of some of the movies i have on the nas thats connected to the network but alot of our videos are in avi format and roku doesnt support it. Any suggestions on how to get gd speed and signal downstairs for future devices like roku. I thought about maybe bringing the router and nas downstairs. My sons ps3 would still be connected via ethernet cord.
thanks for you help

ANSWER: Hi John,

Hmmmmm.  First thanks for all the detail - that always helps.  My initial gut reaction was, "ah I bet this model is only 802.11 B/G and not 802.11 N".  but ... then I looked up that router and it LOOKS like it IS an N Wireless model.  Damn!  N has much better range and speed than b/g, you see.

So unless you somehow have an older e4200 that does NOT have 802.11 N (only b/g) then it's actually somewhat confusing as to why you aren't getting a good signal, etc downstairs.  UNLESS ... the PCs/Devices DOWNSTAIRS ARE NOT N CAPABLE (could be!) - ad therefore forcing the upstairs wireless router to "fall back" to supporting B/G for them.  That would be a good explanation, if that's the case.

And if that IS the case, then your suggested solution is appropriate - moving the router CLOSE to YOUR devices downstairs and letting your son be directly connected via Ethernet.  Honestly that is better anyway as wireless always adds latency and games do NOT like latency.  So he'll probably be happier too.

You can double check what wireless support you have in the downstairs computers by looking at the advanced areas of their wireless adapter.  Or even just looking at the "connected properties" of your wireless on your PC "should" indicate what type of connection it is using (hopefully) - but not always.

Your Roku doesn't support .AVI?  Ahhhh ... yeah now I remember.  I own one of those too but it gets used only for STREAMING media and not MEDIA FILES (it's older and I believe the newer Roku's support .AVI/MPEG etc (but don't hold me to that since I haven't bought one in a few years.  I've got a Western Digital Live media player for the .AVI stuff.  Honestly, we haven't used either of these boxes in nearly a year since we're renovating the 1st floor, but we do own them.

Please feel free for follow-ups if you like!  I hope this helps!

QUESTION: Jeff, the desktop we have in the kitchen for the kids is older running xp and i use a usb wireless adapter that is 802.11g, but we rarely have it on but it bogs down pretty bad on video streams. realized i have another problem. I had the cable guy run a new straight  rj5 line to the upstairs bdrm where the cable modem is. The modem has only one output.  So If i move the router downstairs with the Ethernet cable that runs downstairs then the ps3 in his rm loses direct connection to the modem. Thats not happening. should I get a hub or a switch maybe?? plan1..I'm thinking i could go modem to hub or switch?? then downstairs to the router.Plan2 modem to router, ethernet cable to dwnstairs to a repeater range extender..what ya think. I know nothing about switches. I had a hub back in like 2000. Keep reading online that hubs are obsolete now. Above my knowledge of networking.
Thanks again for your time amigo.

Ah yes a switch would do the trick.  Netgear makes nice little 4-5 port ones that are reasonable.  im surprised the router only has one LAN port - most of them have 4-5.  Stay away from hubs - that is very old technology and is MUCH slower than a switch.

Here are a lot of choices, sorted by lowest price.  Pick one w/ at least 4 ports and lots of good reviews.  I'd also get one that is 10/100/1000 and not only 10/100.  That way LAN speed transfers will be much faster.

General Networking/Lan/Wan

Jeff K

Specialist in leveraging technology toward fulfilling a customer's business objectives: enhancing revenues and giving them a competitive advantage in the marketplace.

Networks: architecture, design, monitoring and trouble-shooting
Technologies: Bandwidth Management (QoS), WAN Optimization, Application Performance Management (APM), User Experience Management

Over 20 years in computers and networking. Strong, broad-based expertise from years in Operations and Sales Engineering at major corporations and hardware vendors.

B.A., various courses in computers and networking as well as many many years of OJT (on the job training) and real-world experience.