General Networking/Lan/Wan/Extending a MiFi Hotspot

My wife and I live in a rural area where we cannot get cable internet. Our best internet option at our home is Verizon's 4G service, so we purchased a 4G WiFi hotspot. The problem with the hotspot is that it can only connect to 5 devices at a time, and we have several devices that use WiFi (phones, laptop, tablet, thermostat, TV, etc).

I'm wanting to buy a device that will extend my WiFi network, enabling me to connect more devices (and possibly extending the range of my network). Unfortunately, I don't know what I'm looking for. I'm a bit of a networking newbie. Do I need a repeater or a bridge or what? Of course, I'd like the solution to my problem to be affordable as well. But if you could provide any recommendations (general or specific), I sure would appreciate it. Thanks a ton in advance.

Hi Chris,

Yes this can be done.  But, I'm not sure how much you are going to like the answer.  This could be a bit on the tricky side! so you may wish for some local help to get this setup.

It won't cost a lot of money for the gear.  But this isn't going to be 10 minutes to configure ...

Please note: 3rd party firmware installs for a router should be done CAREFULLY - and probably by someone that has done it before.  If that goes sideways you can turn your router into a brick.

Good luck!

General Networking/Lan/Wan

Jeff K

Specialist in leveraging technology toward fulfilling a customer's business objectives: enhancing revenues and giving them a competitive advantage in the marketplace.

Networks: architecture, design, monitoring and trouble-shooting
Technologies: Bandwidth Management (QoS), WAN Optimization, Application Performance Management (APM), User Experience Management

Over 20 years in computers and networking. Strong, broad-based expertise from years in Operations and Sales Engineering at major corporations and hardware vendors.

B.A., various courses in computers and networking as well as many many years of OJT (on the job training) and real-world experience.