General Networking/Lan/Wan/Network slow

Question
The company I work for has a multi-user program.  We have been using this program since 2008.  Users are now complaining about the system (this program) being slow.  Sometimes you click a button and it takes almost a minute to update and load the next record.  

We run anti-virus and anti-malware programs, delete cookies and temp files, run a registry cleaner, defrag the HDs, etc.  

How do you troubleshoot speed issues within a LAN?

Answer
Hi Steve,

There is no simple answer as it could be a variety of things in a network. What is the program and is it a database? Sounds like it. Just quickly with your description I would say that if your anti-virus is scanning the data at both ends and worse, scanning your database, this can definitely slow it down. Furthermore if it is a database, there might be so many records or deleted items, etc... that the database would need to be cleaned and optimized. Is it running on a separate server?

As for troubleshooting a slow network, if the problem is only with one application, you don't need to do that. The issue is certainly with the database. If the whole network slows, you need to see what's happening; a defective network card, switch, etc... you can run a free program such as wireshark and analyze the network in greater depth.

If you give me more details like what program, I might be able to help more. Meanwhile however, if it is the application and you have a database, get a database guy to look at it or there might be a tool with the software to help optimize the database.

Simply post a follow up to this question to add details.

I wish you a great day.

General Networking/Lan/Wan

John Teodoro