General Networking/Lan/Wan/can connect to my home network but cant access the internet.

QUESTION: I have a Toshiba p105-s6147. It sees my network but it says unidentified network. My os is windows vista home edition. I've uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled them. I've tried updating them but it says I have the latest version. My phone is connected to it no issues. I have avast anti virus protection. I have the widows firewall off.

ANSWER: Hi Jamie,

Ok well this is just basic "troubleshooting 101".  

What we know?  Your wireless network "works", at least in some sense - because your phone likes it.
What don't we know?  Does your Toshiba Satellite notebook work with OTHER wireless networks????  

Ok.  So, let's test that out.  Take your Toshiba to a friends house, a starbucks, whatever - and see if you can connect on a wireless network outside your house.

If you CAN'T connect then it's your notebook.  Ok now what?  Easiest thing is to get a USB wireless adapter for like $10 and use that.  You can readily buy these at

If you CAN connect then it's probably your wireless router - you didn't state which one you are using but perhaps it's old?  Thing is a new router is probably at least $25-30, and they can run a lot more than that, etc.   So - Even IF your notebook DOES work outside your house ... it's STILL probably the easiest and lowest cost solution to "get a USB wireless adapter" for your notebook - instead of upgrading your router.

But ... if you decide that a router upgrade is advantageous, make sure you buy one that supports B/G/N and not only B/G.  N is much faster and has much greater range.  I like brands like linksys, netgear, asus.  Stay away from dlink - they make low quality stuff. has a great selection and customer reviews.

I hope this helps!

QUESTION: thankyou for answering my question. i can connect to an unsecured network and get internet access. so it connects to other networks no problems. i was thinking about buying one of those adapters and see if i can bypass it. what kind would you recommend?

Hi Jamie,

Please bear in mind that I don't own one.  But if I were to buy one, it would probably be a model from TP-Link, Edimax or Asus.  And I'd make sure to get one that supports B/G/N - not only B/G.  I'd also recommend spending $10-20 instead of trying to buy one for under $10.  

Here is my short list:  Please review and pick one that you like!

I hope this helps!

General Networking/Lan/Wan

Jeff K

Specialist in leveraging technology toward fulfilling a customer's business objectives: enhancing revenues and giving them a competitive advantage in the marketplace.

Networks: architecture, design, monitoring and trouble-shooting
Technologies: Bandwidth Management (QoS), WAN Optimization, Application Performance Management (APM), User Experience Management

Over 20 years in computers and networking. Strong, broad-based expertise from years in Operations and Sales Engineering at major corporations and hardware vendors.

B.A., various courses in computers and networking as well as many many years of OJT (on the job training) and real-world experience.