General Networking/Lan/Wan/Multilink

Jeff wrote at 2013-05-06 01:21:46

>> WILLIAM.  Thanks for the info. In answer to your questions... I am 10 miles from the nearest DSLAM and fiber optic lines. The valley I live in is ringed by hills that block 98% of all land based wireless signals. A repeater station on one of the hills might work but there is no power so I would need an alternate power source. An antenna on my property would need to be at least 640 feet high to clear the hills.

Hmmmm ... how's your wife feel about relocation?  :-)   Are there any towers on any of the hills?  Maybe one of them has an Internet service connected to it?  If so .... perhaps they would allow you to setup a wireless relay?  Your best hope is if there is some high speed Internet going through an existing tower on that hill  - then connecting to it via high-powered wireless.

If nothing is on those hills ... that's a tough position and doesn't leave you with much except satellite or dial-up.  On the bright side ... I bet it's one heck of a nice view that you've got, with some good hunting/fishing, eh?

General Networking/Lan/Wan

Jeff K

Specialist in leveraging technology toward fulfilling a customer's business objectives: enhancing revenues and giving them a competitive advantage in the marketplace.

Networks: architecture, design, monitoring and trouble-shooting
Technologies: Bandwidth Management (QoS), WAN Optimization, Application Performance Management (APM), User Experience Management

Over 20 years in computers and networking. Strong, broad-based expertise from years in Operations and Sales Engineering at major corporations and hardware vendors.

B.A., various courses in computers and networking as well as many many years of OJT (on the job training) and real-world experience.