General Networking/Lan/Wan/Home routing

I would like to build or buy a home router (<$100) that allows me to base priority on a mac address. I've used or examined the interface to quite a few routers but the best they seem to offer is qos for multimedia.  I'm considering building a smoothwall box, but I'm not sure it offers this capability. Any other suggestions are appreciated.  FWIW the streaming data I want to prioritize isn't multimedia. thks

Hi Al,

Probably, your best bet is to get a router and install either DD-WRT or Tomato.  Or ... better yet just buy a router that already has the 3rd party software on it.

Personally, I have always been pretty leery of installing these myself, since I don't wish to risk "bricking" my router, for stuff that honestly I don't NEED at home.  That being said ... my next router will be one that comes w/ the 3rd party firmware already installed - it's nice to be able to increase antennae power and such.

Here are some links to help you:

I'd first look at the details of dd-wrt - it seems widely regarded as the most powerful and has a lot of support, and a good community of users.  If what you want isn't supported by dd-wrt then I would be VERY surprised.

I hope this helps!

General Networking/Lan/Wan

Jeff K

Specialist in leveraging technology toward fulfilling a customer's business objectives: enhancing revenues and giving them a competitive advantage in the marketplace.

Networks: architecture, design, monitoring and trouble-shooting
Technologies: Bandwidth Management (QoS), WAN Optimization, Application Performance Management (APM), User Experience Management

Over 20 years in computers and networking. Strong, broad-based expertise from years in Operations and Sales Engineering at major corporations and hardware vendors.

B.A., various courses in computers and networking as well as many many years of OJT (on the job training) and real-world experience.