General Networking/Lan/Wan/ip address

hello sir,
this is pratibha. i am having a query about the  ip address. i am using a network and i have an ip address for this network. if i change the internet service provider and also my computer, will my ip address remain same or it will be different? please make it clear to me as i am very confused and this thing will be very useful for my job.please list me in what cases ip address remains same and when it differs?

thank you

Hi Pratibha.
IP address will be specific to the service provider. If you change, you will get the IP address from the new service provider. Since their IP address block are different and unique, you won;t get the same from new service provider.

Also, since most of the oversubscribe, in case you do not use your IP address (like your router is down or you have gone out of station and there is no traffic, even in that case you may get a new IP address from the same service provider.

If you are using this IP to map to any service on Internet, ask the service provider to give you a permanent one. (they may charge some amount for it.

Hope this helps.

General Networking/Lan/Wan

Sudhanshu Gupta

Any question related to IP routing protocols - BGP/OSPF/IGRP/EIGRP/RIP, HSRP. Bridging/DLSW, Cisco routers and Switches, LAN/WAN installation and monitoring.

I have about 14 yeras of experience in networking. I am an MCSE and CCIE (7334).