General Networking/Lan/Wan/Wireless adapter problems

Question
I'm not sure if I'm in the right category, but well, I'm having trouble connecting to the internet. I just bought a netgear wnda3100v2 wireless adapter. It detects network connections, but it won't connect to them. I'm sure the answer is quite simple, but I know absolutely nothing about computers. The network I'm trying to connect to is public, since I don't have my own wifi. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I've already tried uninstalling it and I'm running Windows 7. Thanks.

Answer
Hi Erica,

Well this is the kind of thing that is really pretty tricky to try and guide you through over the Internet.  It may even be that you have done everything correctly but the adapter is somehow incompatible with the public wi-fi.  It does happen, even to IT folks like me.  The best thing, honestly, is if you can have someone there who is a decent computer person, who will try and get it going locally at your computer.  

One thing to consider is perhaps one of your neighbors will allow you to try and connect to their wireless network, at least to try and test it out, and one of them will likely know a thing or two about wireless networking as well.

I'm sorry that I can't give you a better answer but this is really the kind of thing that I would probably spend 30-60 minutes working on in person to try and fix.  So doing it remotely is nearly impossible since I can't see what's going on and run various tests to see what does and doesn't work.

Please don't bother with a rating - since I really can't provide any direct help to you.  Good luck!

J.  

General Networking/Lan/Wan

Jeff K