General Networking/Lan/Wan/Installing Multiple Os in a computer.

QUESTION: Dear Scottgem

Is it possible to install multiple Operating Systems in a single machine viz Server, Workstation, Laptop, Mobile Devices ?.

For example : Microsoft Windows and Linux.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

ANSWER: Yes. There are tool that allow you to select an OS to boot from. Or you can create Virtual Machines (VMs) with different OSes.

Hope this helps

QUESTION: Dear Scottgem

Thank you.

Will this approaches also work ?.

1. BIOS program option to load Windows 7 or Linux on boot up with Two Hard drives installed in the machine. Hard Drive 1 has Windows 7 installed, Hard Drive 2 has Linux Os Installed instead of installing two Os in a single Hard Drive.

In the Bios Setup program indicating Hard Disk 1 or Hard Disk 2 as Os Booting Drive. If User selects Hard Disk 1, System will boot Windows 7.0, If User selects Hard Disk 2, System will boot Linux.

Here there will be additional cost of a Hard Drive installation in the computer.

2. If the above approach do not work because of technical reasons, Can we have multiple BIOS chips in the machine ?.

Choice given to user for loading BIOS 1 or BIOS 2 using two different function Keys, for example F10 or F11.

Pressing F10 will give the BIOS setup for Loading Windows 7 OS.
Pressing F11 will give the BIOS setup for Loading Linux OS.

IF BIOS 1 is selected during startup, Windows 7 OS will boot, IF BIOS 2 is selected during startup, Linux OS will boot.

In Both the cases, there will be two hard drives in the machine.

Can there be any advantages or useful of having more than one BIOS Chip in the machine viz Laptop, Server, Workstation, Mobile devices etc in any scenarios ?.

Can this be used as a Backup ROM Chip in case the primary BIOS Chip
fails ?.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

No you cannot have multiple BIOS chips. Whether the BIOS has the ability to choose a different boot drive will depend on the BIOS. If it does, then that will work. But it has to be built into the BIOS.

With the advances in VM software (VMWare, VirtualBox, etc.) its very easy to create VMs with different OSes.

Hope this helps

General Networking/Lan/Wan

Most general questions on LANs, especially home networks. Some admin and design issue.

I've been an IT Professional for more then 16 years. I've accumulated a larege store of knowledge that allows me to answer a wide variety of IT related questions.