General Networking/Lan/Wan/Installing Multiple Os in a computer.

Dear MK

Is it possible to install multiple Operating Systems in a single machine viz Server, Workstation, Laptop ?.

For example : Microsoft Windows and Linux.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Hello Prashant,

Sorry for the delay I've been busy with work and commuting. As far as the dual boot question goes yes you can. I'm not going to cover Virtual machine here because it's another subject. Just dual OS. For this to work you will need to format your hard drive with two partitions one for Windows requirements i.e. NTFS and for Linux you need to have FAT partition. You can install Linux on FAT partition without problem Linux will want to partition your HD to its own parturition scheme. This can be done from your own Windows OS just by inserting the .ISO disk
to your computer CD bay. In case that you have special needs for the Computer you will want to
use the .Ext4 format from the Linux disk. But, if you want an easier way just run the installer from .ISO disk and follow the steps. When its prompt you to partition the HD you can elect to add a new partition from the available space on Windows partition. Give the new partition at least 10 GB of space. You will need at least 3GB of RAM (more is better) to run these scheme.
For more information look at this link: Normally you will not do it on a server because it's single-use-machine and has such you wouldn't want to put another OS on it. For security reasons and overhead processing after all its meant for file sharing only. On a laptop you can install dual OS without a problems as long that you have sufficient amount of space that's needed. Workstation not recommended because it's using sharing resources and for that purpose you may not want to install another OS. Unless you have a very good reason to do so. To download Ubuntu CD check here: .

I hope that answer you question

MK Computer consulting

General Networking/Lan/Wan

Network Design and Troubleshoot, LAN, Wiring, Switching, Routing, and Network Security. VOIP setup and design. Wireless Network Setting and Testing. Cisco Routing and Switching. VPN Setup.

Small Medium Size Business Network Issues, VPN, VOIP, Routing, Switching, GB Ethernet, Fiber Network, Call Center Voice Network, Server 2K/2K3, Cisco Networking, Sonicwall VPN, Electronic Medical Records (EMR).

BS, MA Network Security, CCNA Training, PMG NetAnalyst: Wireless and IP Routed Networks certify. Fluke CCIT/DTX Cable analyzer testing certify.