General Networking/Lan/Wan/Internet & Network

Question
Windows has detected an IP address conflict.

Another computer on this network has the same IP address as this computer. Contact your network administrator for help resolving this issue. More details are available in the Windows System event log.

I would like to ask why I got this above? Someone hacks in my internet? Please advise, many thanks.

Answer
Hi Vanda, and thanks for your question.

In this case, the Windows error message is very helpful.  It does mean that another computer on your network already has the IP address (network identifier) as your computer.  It could be a hacking situation, but probably not.  More likely is a problem with the Service (called DHCP) that assigns the IP addresses to computers.  That job is usually done by your router.

My suggestion is to reboot the router (unplug is from power for at least 60 seconds), and then reboot all the computers.  This will reset the DHCP server to a fresh state, and then all the computers will be able to get unique IP addresses.

If you still have this problem after that, then one of your computers is not using DHCP, but rather has a static (fixed) IP address, and that address is in the range of dynamic addresses that the router uses to assign addresses.  In that case, you will have to check each computer to see what its IP address is and make sure that either it is a DHCP address, or is a sfae static IP address.

Good luck!  I hope this helps,

Ralph

General Networking/Lan/Wan

Ralph Becker