General Networking/Lan/Wan/IP Address

QUESTION: I'm having an issue that says "Windows has detected an IP address conflict. Another computer on this network has the same IP address as this computer. Contact your network administrator for help resolving this issue. More details are available in the Windows System Event Log."

I have Windows 7 on my PC, as well as a Verizon USB551L USB modem. I've been experiencing this issue off and on for a while, and is now popping up when I connect on and off from the Internet.

How do I resolve this issue?

ANSWER: Hi Edward,

So you have only 1 PC directly connected to a Verizon modem? It's not a shared connection or perhaps on another network switch?

See if you can pull up your IP addresses. Do this by clicking the Windows button/Start button and typing "cmd" in the search bar, without quotations. Then press "Enter."

A black window will appear. Type "ipconfig/all" without quotations and look at all IPv4 addresses. You may need to scroll up to see them all. Can you get that information and add it to this question?

QUESTION: As far as I know, my mom has a Verizon Mifi device she uses with her tablet; but when it was in use, there were no issues. It hasn't been used for a while, and I still get the message.

Through the USB modem, this is the only connection. I'm willing to believe that someone else's modem(s) in the general area and not in house, is the cause of it.

I pulled up the command prompt to find an IPv4 address and got <Preferred>, as it might be mine(?). Not to mention some other possible connections that deal with an:

-Atheros Ethernet Connection (as an Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection)

-Microsoft ISATAP Adapter (Tunnel adapter isatap),

-Microsoft Teredo Tunneling Adapter (Tunneling adapter Local Area Connection*12

-and Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2 (Tunnel adapter

As a note: The connection still works fine in viewing pages and other media, but this issue may have stopped YouTube videos from fully loading. Some will load, some will not. My Ethernet adapter has been updated, as well as Adobe Flash. (Just throwing it out there)

Should I add the entire command log for you to take a look?

I've seen this happen a couple years ago with a Verizon hot spot, but I'm not sure of the fix in this particular case. Typically when this happens, you'd have to check your DHCP set up on your router or wherever the DHCP server is (DHCP Server being the device to give out IP addresses and is responsible to make sure there isn't an overlap). A lot of times,  it is because 1 device has a static IP address that the DHCP server doesn't know about. However, in this case, the DHCP server might be on Verizon's end and out of your control.

I'm not entirely certain how their hotspot works, if it gives out the IP address, or if it comes from Verizon. It is a private IP address, but I'm still guessing that Verizon is handing that out and not the hotspot. Since I'm sure at some point the power would have been cycled on that device, that's the extent of the help I can provide not having a hotspot myself.

Have you tried contacting Verizon support on it? It should be included in your monthly costs and they may have a quick answer for you.  

General Networking/Lan/Wan

Justin W.

I can answer questions on DHCP, security, DNS, IPv4, Sub-netting/VLANS, and more.

I have been working in IT for almost 10 years, all years spent in some sort of support role, but the past two years I've been in an IT Administration position, overseeing Windows Servers, VMware vSphere running on a Cisco UCS platform with Cisco networking devices

I have a BAS with dual-major from Davenport University, in Grand Rapids, MI. My majors were Computer Networking and Network Security.

I am Network+ certified.