General Networking/Lan/Wan/Wireless Network Options

My church consists of two parallel buildings about 60 feet apart. We have small office network in the east building. We want to build a radio studio in the west building, which needs a reliable internet connection.

What would be better? A wireless internet connection linking the west building to the existing network in the east building or a dedicated DSL connection in the west building? I'd prefer not paying for two DSL connections, but I would need a rock solid wireless connection linking these two networks. What equipment would you suggest would get this accomplished?

Hi Evan,

The buildings are REALLY close.  So if you locate a good wireless router in a window of the East building, facing the West building you should be ok.  I'd recommend a router that supports b/g/n not just b/g.  Something good like Netgear, Asus, Linksys, TP-Link.

N wireless is MUCH faster than b/g - get a router with 3 antennae.  It'll only run maybe $50-75 for a decent one.  You may also wish to consider MAYBE replacing the stock firmware (if needed) with a 3rd party like DD WRT, which supports a lot more functions for QoS and bandwidth monitoring.

When I get this stuff it's usually from or  I trust the reviews more - us technie types have been using that site for ages.  

I hope this helps!

General Networking/Lan/Wan

Jeff K

Specialist in leveraging technology toward fulfilling a customer's business objectives: enhancing revenues and giving them a competitive advantage in the marketplace.

Networks: architecture, design, monitoring and trouble-shooting
Technologies: Bandwidth Management (QoS), WAN Optimization, Application Performance Management (APM), User Experience Management

Over 20 years in computers and networking. Strong, broad-based expertise from years in Operations and Sales Engineering at major corporations and hardware vendors.

B.A., various courses in computers and networking as well as many many years of OJT (on the job training) and real-world experience.