General Networking/Lan/Wan/Wireless Network

Question
QUESTION: Hi Ralph
Thank you for taking the time to read my question, I have two wireless networks in the same building, both are linksys routers, each one has their own ISP provider,  the issue am facing is, one of the wireless networks keeps going on and off constantly, i have not been able to pin point way, a few days ago a replace the router with a new one and continues to have the same issue, any suggestions on how to troubleshoot to find the problem.
thank you
Al

ANSWER: Hi Al, and thanks for your question.

I am making a couple of assumptions about your setup:

- I'm calling the working wireless connection Network 1, and the non-working one Network 2.

- When you say the wireless network 2 "goes on and off", that you mean the internet connectivity is dropping, and not the wireless signal itself.

- Your device has a reasonably strong wireless network signal from both routers.

- The same device can access network 1 without problem, but has trouble with network 2.

- You have more than one device that has the same problem with network 2.

If any of these assumptions are not verified, please try to verify them.

If all these assumptions are true, then the most likely culprit is the network connection on network 2. It may be an ISP issue or a problem with the modem (cable, DSL, etc). Your next step should be to contact network 2's ISP tech support line and work with them.  They will likely have you power-cycle the modem and the router, so you may want to give that a try on your own first to see if it helps.

Good luck, and I hope this helps,

Ralph

QUESTION: Thank you for your prompt response,
Network 2: the internet connectivity its ok, the wireless signal is what's drooping constantly
the device has strong signal from both router and connects to Network 1 with no issues, and there is other devices that have the same problem with Network 2, drooping the Wireless signal.
on Network 2 I have two PC's hardwire to the router and they never loose internet connectivity, that is why I don't know what to do to fix the problem.
once again thank you for your help

Answer
Hi again Al,

It sounds like you've pinpointed the problem as the router's wireless signal dropping. However, you have replaced the router and still have the problem. The only other thing I can think of is interference. Is there a device nearby that might be operating on the same frequency as your wireless router? This article:

http://kb.linksys.com/Linksys/GetArticle.aspx?docid=efc03a44a5bb47bd804cf4d0eb30

says that devices like cordless phones, microwave ovens, and baby monitors can cause interference. I have also heard that garage door openers, alarm system motion sensors, and cordless headsets can cause WiFi problems. If either your router or the device are close to anything that may be causing interference, try relocating the router, the device, or whatever may be causing the interference.

Best of luck!

Ralph

General Networking/Lan/Wan

Ralph Becker