General Networking/Lan/Wan/CONNETING TO WIFI PLEASE HELP

Question
QUESTION: Hi, I need your help as soon as possible.  I have a Dell DIMENSION E521, it does not have Wifi. Can you pleas give me step by step details on what hardware and software I need to hook to free wifi.  I would like to use the wifi on my cell phone.  Is this possible, please help.  Thanks Ken

ANSWER: Hi Ken,

This is pretty simple.  The software will come with whatever wireless adapter you buy for the Dell (or you may need to download it - depending).  Here are a bunch of USB Wireless Network Adapters to choose from.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100010074%204115%204

The Edimax has lots of reviews and is about $10.  I would only choose a model with 4 stars or more and at LEAST 10 reviews, preferably many more.

You didn't mention what OS you are running.  If it's windows 7 or later, usually that stuff auto-installs.

You mention that you wish to "use the wifi on your cell phone".  So I assume that you can run a hotspot on your phone and wish that this will be your wireless access point.  That is also easy enough to do, and I do this regularly.

Once the wireless adapter is installed on your PC, then you will use your wireless configuration tool to connect to the hotspot that you will configure on your phone (if you haven't done it already).

Feel free to send follow-up questions.  This won't be all that difficult, really.  USB-based devices are very easy to install and configure.

Thanks!

J.

QUESTION: Jeff Hi I purchased a Wifi adapter from Netgear model N600, the only Wifi connection that comes up on my computer is from.          someone named Fast Guy which is secured. AM I doing something wrong,  what do I need to do to get online. I DONT think its picking up my phone.  Im Confused , please help.  Thank you Ken

Answer
Hi Ken,

QUESTION: Jeff Hi I purchased a Wifi adapter from Netgear model N600, the only Wifi connection that comes up on my computer is from.          someone named Fast Guy which is secured. AM I doing something wrong,  what do I need to do to get online. I DONT think its picking up my phone.  Im Confused , please help.  Thank you Ken

Ok ... so you are now providing new information.  You imply that you HAVE a wireless adapter on your PC (you see a WiFi connection on your PC called "Fast Guy").  And now you also state that you have a Wireless Router - Netgear N600.  

Ok so I am happy to help you I am now confused as to what you do and do not have.  People who have a Router usually aren't interested in using their phone for their connection.

Shall we start again?  Please provide full details this time, ok?  

General Networking/Lan/Wan

Jeff K