General Networking/Lan/Wan/Modem and Voip

Hi there, I am upgrading from my rented Time Warner modem: Ambit U10C018 and am thinking of getting a Motorola SB6121. I have a PhonePower VOIP modem and a Linksys E1200 Router (everything is connected to that: computer, VOIP and Roku)
I've been having issues with the phone (cutting out, delays) and I am wondering if a new modem with boost my numbers a bit. I only have the Basic service through TW though, which promises 3mbps downloads and 1mbps uploads. Is it even worth it to get a $60 modem? Or am I going to have to upgrade my service to Standard with TW to get a better signal on my phone. Thanks for your help!

Hi Sara,

First it's important to understand that VOIP will cut and have delays if you are for example downloading at the same time. In part that has to do with the speed of your connection but it also can be affected by the way your router handles the traffic. Another thing people always forget to look at is the "upload". So on a 3 Mbps service, your upload is probably 800KB and when actually tested 300-400KB. So that's horrible for VOIP.

I personally experienced a VOIP problem before with a Linksys router. I tried setting up everything in it, the QOS (Quality of Service) etc... but nothing worked. Long story short and without getting to technical, once I changed the router it worked fine. Not saying this is the problem but could be part of it because of the way certain routers handle the traffic.

However, the speed and quality of service can affect this as well. Plus if you use your Roku to stream Netflix in HD, download on your computer and talk over VOIP, I would say a 3 Mbps service is definitely not enough. But that being said, the 3Mbps service or more can also be affected by poor wiring inside and outside the house. In my opinion, changing the DSL modem itself will be useless in all cases.

I would also suggest a higher quality router, one that can handle HD traffic. I would get the wiring checked out and eliminate splitters and dollar store extension cords if any. Then I would look for a better service. These days they should all be cheaper and something like a 10-15Mbps download with a better upload like say 1Mbps or more would be better, especially for VOIP.

An example of my setup here is I have a 25Mbps download and 7 Mbps upload service and I run VOIP, Netflix in HD on 2 TVs and there are iPads, iPods, laptops and desktops all surfing and/or streaming YouTube and it works perfectly with no glitches.

So to recap, and depending on budget and availability in your area, I would not want you to just start changing everything. So here is a suggestion that you can try in order:

1) Double check all wiring, splitters, etc... that provides the DSL signal to your modem.

2) Go to Best Buy and purchase a better quality router. You should have 30 days to return it in case so give it a try. If it works, great stop there.

3) Look at a better (faster) service with a better upload, not just download.

4) I am not familiar with Phonepower but I just visited their website to see the hardware. Check with the company or support on their website to see also if a firmware upgrade is available for the unit. This sometimes could also correct a few glitches and make it work better.

If you need me to be more specific or if you have more questions, just post a follow up. Meanwhile I hope this helps and thank you for writing.

Have a great day!

General Networking/Lan/Wan

John Teodoro

I have over 20 years of experience in computer troubleshooting, networking and repairs as well as electronics. I can answer questions concerning Windows Server 2003/2008/2008R2 and 2012. Hardware repair and upgrades as well as questions regarding Windows XP/7/8. I have also developed a speciality with Hyper-V the last year. If I don't know it, I will try my very best to find the answer.

I have worked both as a Technical Director and Information Technology Manager and I also operated a home-based computer consulting business for many years, which included the installation, update and security of computer systems and Windows servers. I have also drafted many IT Plans and consultation reports for specific recommendations.

My experience ranges from Project Planning to finding different networking solutions for companies. My work has demanded that I keep informed and this has always allowed me to be proactive by keeping up to date with technology; this involves researching and learning on a day to day basis, which I find to be fundamental.

I have also co-produced and edited a number of films so I can offer a vast knowledge on the subject.

Some of my credentials include:
Currently Studying for CISSP (2016)
Linux Security (2016)
SharePoint 2013 (2013)
Microsoft Canada Office 365 (2013)
ITIL 2011 Foundations Certification (2012)
Microsoft Small Business Server 2003 (2007)
Telephony repair and maintenance (2000) - Bell Canada
ISO 9000 Internal Auditor (1999) - SGS SCI Canada Inc.
Signature Service Consumer Relations (1999) - Wilson Learning Worldwide.
Certified Novell Administrator CNA (1998) Intranetware 4.11
Micro-Computer Technology, Troubleshooting and Networking (1998)
Electronics Troubleshooting and Repairs (1990-1991)
Office Systems Technology (1989-1990)
Owner of Cutthroat Pictures Co-Owner of Icebreaker Films