General Networking/Lan/Wan/Virtual Private NetworK (VPN) V/S RDP Remote Server Connectivity.

Question
Dear Justin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_private_network‎
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remote_Desktop_Protocol‎

What could be the probable reasons that one is unable to establish connectivity to a VPN Server using VPN Client software ?.

But one is always able to establish connectivity to a RDP Server using RDP Client software.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Answer
Hello,

Those are really two separate systems that are configured differently. Because one works, it does not mean the other should, as well. They both need to be configured to work and are independent of each other.

Since the RDP server works, you do not have to worry about that. You'll want to focus on the VPN. You'll want to ensure the correct ports are open on your firewall, that any routing needed is done correctly on the router, and that the VPN client/server are both configured to work with each other.

You can try tests, such as pinging the DNS name of the VPN from outside of your office, or ping the IP address of it. Maybe the DNS name isn't resolving? Maybe the client doesn't know how to resolve a name, so the IP would be required anyway.  

General Networking/Lan/Wan

Justin W.