General Networking/Lan/Wan/How can I combine wired network and wireless network (TP-Link WDR4300 and Asus RT-N16)

Router Models : TL-WDR4300 (V1), Asus RT-N16
Operating Systems of devices on the network: W7, W8.1 and Android
Modem:  Arris TM601A
Switch:  Trendnet TEG-S16Dg

I have many rooms in my house hard-wired.  However, not all.  So, I need wifi.  
I bought the WDR4300 to replace my Asus RT-N16 as I need more range and seemed to remember reading somewhere that the WDR4300 2.4Gz band would be better than the Asus 2.4Ghz band (although I may have just dreamed of reading that as I cannot find my source at this point). I do not have any scientific measuring equipment, but I am not noticing an appreciable difference. Neither router can get from the NE corner of my basement to the SW corner of my second floor.  Should I have expected an appreciable difference??

With two routers, what is the best way for me to get maximum distance without sacrificing speed??  I am not sure that I really understand the difference between an Access Point, a Bridge, a Repeater, and a Booster.  But surely there is some configuration that is best for me??

My modem is in the NE corner of my basement and cannot be moved.  My primary router is now also located in the NE corner of the basement.  Since I have more than a few hard-wired ports in the basement my router is also connected to a switch (also located in the NE corner of the basement where all the termination gear is).  I have one (1) available hard-wired port on the first floor of the middle of my house.  It seems like I cannot move the primary router to this first floor location as I only have one port.  So If I move the primary router and then connect the modem to the now slighlty remote router, I have no other port to connect the router back to the switch.  I think that the middle of the first floor would be the ideal location for the router from a wifi perspective, but again with only one port, it does not seem viable.  

But I am wondering if I could turn off the radio on the router in the basement (and just use it to connect the modem to the switch and serve as DHCP) and then install the second router on the first floor with radio turned on -- so it would be the only router (of the two) with wifi working but use the hard-wired connection to go through the switch back to the primary router (which is assigning addresses)?

Does this make sense?  Is it possible??  Is there some configuration that I should be using instead?  

What are my options?

Do you have the two wireless access points connected with a hardwire? That would be the best option. If they are connected to each other AND you have devices connecting to them, it will degrade performance.

Also, in a wireless bridge, you can expect speeds to be half of what they are rated (so if it was G, it would be 27Mbps vs 54Mbps that it is rated). This is another reason to connect them via a cable.

Another thing to consider, is the channel they are on. I could go into details, but to keep it simple, put 1 AP on channel 1 and the other on 12. Then there is no overlap, and less likely to be overlap with any neighbors that are probably using the default channel 6. I use 1 and 12 because they do not overlap, 2,3,4,5,7,8,9,10,11 could overlap channel 6. I can provide more detail on that, if you want. I can also provide ways of verifying your neighbor's channels if that might be an issue?

General Networking/Lan/Wan

Justin W.

I can answer questions on DHCP, security, DNS, IPv4, Sub-netting/VLANS, and more.

I have been working in IT for almost 10 years, all years spent in some sort of support role, but the past two years I've been in an IT Administration position, overseeing Windows Servers, VMware vSphere running on a Cisco UCS platform with Cisco networking devices

I have a BAS with dual-major from Davenport University, in Grand Rapids, MI. My majors were Computer Networking and Network Security.

I am Network+ certified.