General Networking/Lan/Wan/Internet on laptop

Question

I have a 2008 laptop that's not wifi ready. It doesn't have wifi.

How do I get an internet connection on it, and what are all the things I need to connect to the internet on my laptop.

Thank you.

Sincerely,
Kari

Answer
Hi Kari,

Sorry for the delay I have not received your question until this weekend. I'm not sure why can't
you use the built in WiFi card. But, lets see if you can use an external USB card, PC card for your laptop. PC Card would be a better choice for you it's depend whether you have a PC Card slot on your laptop. Take a look here to confirm if you have it: http://compnetworking.about.com/od/hardwarenetworkgear/ss/wirelessadapter_2.htm. Most modern laptops don't have PC Cards socket anymore. The second option is to use Wireless USB adapter like this one: http://www.camcor.com/cgi-bin/cat/id=1321027510;fg=282015071?gclid=CPmFybeHhb4CF. I would think that should do the job. You must install the drivers first before attempting to use the car, otherwise you will have issues finding the drivers. In addition, you need to configure your WiFi network
to allow you to connect. Don't use it without encryption - this is not advised any encryption is better than none.    

I hope you will be able to connect to the Wireless Network

Good Luck,

MK
MK Computer Consulting

General Networking/Lan/Wan

MK