General Networking/Lan/Wan/Internet question

Question

I have a 2008 laptop that's not wifi ready. It doesn't have wifi.

How do I get an internet connection on it, and what are all the things I need to connect to the internet on my laptop.

Thank you.

Sincerely,
Kari

Answer
Hi Karl,

Well you will need to order Internet service for your home, if you have not already done so.  Usually that is your local phone or cable company.  Like Verizon, Comcast, etc.  

As part of that install, you will get a router, usually with integrated wireless and 4 Ethernet ports.  You will need to check with your local providers to see what they offer.  If all they give you is a cable modem and only 1 Ethernet port and no wireless, then you should probably buy a wireless router.  A good deal can be had for a refurbished Linksys E1500 at Amazon or Newegg.com.

I would recommend you get a USB Wireless Adapter for your laptop.  Otherwise you will need to connect an Ethernet cable from your laptop to your Internet router and won't be able to sit anywhere in the house that you like.

There are LOTS of great choices for a USB Wireless adapter at www.newegg.com.  I'd pick one around $10, with lots of good reviews.  Clearly you have some access to Internet now since you are posting your question to me.

I hope this helps!

J

General Networking/Lan/Wan

Jeff K