General Networking/Lan/Wan/Internet question

I have a 2008 laptop that's not wifi ready. It doesn't have wifi.

How do I get an internet connection on it, and what are all the things I need to connect to the internet on my laptop.

Thank you.

Hi Karl,

Well you will need to order Internet service for your home, if you have not already done so.  Usually that is your local phone or cable company.  Like Verizon, Comcast, etc.  

As part of that install, you will get a router, usually with integrated wireless and 4 Ethernet ports.  You will need to check with your local providers to see what they offer.  If all they give you is a cable modem and only 1 Ethernet port and no wireless, then you should probably buy a wireless router.  A good deal can be had for a refurbished Linksys E1500 at Amazon or

I would recommend you get a USB Wireless Adapter for your laptop.  Otherwise you will need to connect an Ethernet cable from your laptop to your Internet router and won't be able to sit anywhere in the house that you like.

There are LOTS of great choices for a USB Wireless adapter at  I'd pick one around $10, with lots of good reviews.  Clearly you have some access to Internet now since you are posting your question to me.

I hope this helps!

General Networking/Lan/Wan

Jeff K

Specialist in leveraging technology toward fulfilling a customer's business objectives: enhancing revenues and giving them a competitive advantage in the marketplace.

Networks: architecture, design, monitoring and trouble-shooting
Technologies: Bandwidth Management (QoS), WAN Optimization, Application Performance Management (APM), User Experience Management

Over 20 years in computers and networking. Strong, broad-based expertise from years in Operations and Sales Engineering at major corporations and hardware vendors.

B.A., various courses in computers and networking as well as many many years of OJT (on the job training) and real-world experience.