General Networking/Lan/Wan/Network Drives

If I connect to my hotspot on my phone at work and disconnect from the local network how do I connect to my network drives?

If you are connected to your phone's hotspot then you are on the Internet and not your companies private network.  I have to assume that your company perhaps blocks access to something that you wish to take a look at some site during the day?

Anyway, assuming that you have a VPN client on your laptop/workstation - you can then connect THROUGH your phone back into your company and access your network drives.  If you don't have a VPN client ... you would need to request one from your IT people.  This might be a normal request from you IF you have a laptop and some need to remotely connect from home or a client site.  It would be a very unusual request if you have a desktop computer ...

The only alternative is to leverage your wireless for your phone and your Ethernet jack for the local network - assuming that is even available.

I hope this helps!

General Networking/Lan/Wan

Jeff K

Specialist in leveraging technology toward fulfilling a customer's business objectives: enhancing revenues and giving them a competitive advantage in the marketplace.

Networks: architecture, design, monitoring and trouble-shooting
Technologies: Bandwidth Management (QoS), WAN Optimization, Application Performance Management (APM), User Experience Management

Over 20 years in computers and networking. Strong, broad-based expertise from years in Operations and Sales Engineering at major corporations and hardware vendors.

B.A., various courses in computers and networking as well as many many years of OJT (on the job training) and real-world experience.