General Networking/Lan/Wan/DATA help

Question
I have a Desktop PC and a Laptop PC bot have Win7 64 Bit on them and my Laptop is conected to my Wi Fi Router and I Print from my Laptop all the time.

And my Desktop PC is conected to my Router as well but it have an Ethernet Cable.

I set my Desktop and Laptop both on the same Networkgroup it is the one Windows puts in the Workgroup name Box called    WORKGROUP

When I go to my Desktop I right click on My Computer and go to Map Network Drive and a Box opens that lets me look for my Laptops name.

And I see it and click it.

But it asks me for a password and user name.

I have no password setup on my Laptop.
Is this because I left the Workgroup name as     WORKGROUP     this is what Windows had in both the Desktop PC and my Laptop PC Network Group name?

Answer
Hi Bob, and thanks for your question.

This is a fairly common problem.  Give this a try:

1. Click Start and in the "Search programs and files" box, type "advanced sharing" and choose "Manage advanced sharing settings"

2. Click "Change advanced sharing settings..." (this opens Control Panel->Network and Internet->Network and Sharing Center->Advanced sharing settings)

3. The setting right before the last one is "Password protected sharing".

4. Choose "Turn off password protected sharing" and you should be good to go without even a restart.

Good luck, and I hope this helps,
Ralph

General Networking/Lan/Wan

Ralph Becker