General Networking/Lan/Wan/port forwarding


I am newbie to setting up a web server.My public ip addrees assigned by my isp is the BRIDGES ip address.There is a dlink router or switch in between my computer and the bridge.Do I port forward port 80 on the bridge to my computers ip address,since its the supposed web server?(heard http uses port 80).Isp guy says one cant use port 80 on the bridge.Any ideas?Thank you

ANSWER: Hi Jay, and thanks for your question.

If you are setting up a web server on your home LAN, then yes you will normally let server run on port 80, then set up port forwarding on your router to forward all port 80 requests to the IP address of the server. The router will handle all the requests to the server and replies from it.

Note that you will want to set a static (fixed) IP address for the computer running the web server. If you don't do this, the server may get a different IP address the next time it reboots, and then the port 80 forwarding will not longer work correctly.

Here are a few web sites that will help you with the details on setting up your server. You will want to consider security, since your server will be accessible to the internet. Also note that many home internet service providers prohibit running a server, so be sure to check with yours to see if this is allowed.

Good luck, and I hope this helps!


[an error occurred while processing this directive]---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

QUESTION: Thanks for replying.But this doesnt seem to work.The public ip address is the bridge's(not the router's) ip address(the router is between the bridge and server).When i type in the public ip address i get the bridges airspan login page.Isp guy says cant use port 80 when port forwarding on the bridge.
What do you think?

Hi again Joy,

It sounds like your service provider has set it up so that you cannot configure a server, at least on port 80.

You could try setting things up on another port that does not have a default assignment, like port 8080 (port numbers above 1024 are not reserved). You would need to set up the forwarding for the port you choose as you would have for port 80, and you would need to set your web server configuration to use the same port number.

If that doesn't work, you may need to contact your internet service provider support department. They may be able to help you,

Good luck!


General Networking/Lan/Wan

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Ralph Becker


General networks, including LAN (ethernet, cable modem, DSL), dialup (modems), WAN (frame relay, ATM), and other related networking technologies.


I have worked for 20 years in various network companies, in capacities including development, customer service, and operations.
Check out my bio/ratings page!

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]