General Networking/Lan/Wan/connecting to the internet

QUESTION: Hello Jeff,
I just turned on my computer and every site I try to connect you yields this message: You have reached this web page because you (or your network administrator) are using one or more of the old OpenNIC Tier2 DNS Resolvers which is/are not supported or not actively maintained anymore and as such will be shut down soon.  [another meaningless paragraph, then:] Please take a look at "DNS Servers near you" below to find a new DNS Resolver near you that you can use from now on and make sure to subscribe to the OpenNIC discuss mailing list in order to stay up to date with the available DNS resolvers and receive update information regarding planned maintenance and similar information.

I have no idea what the above means nor do I really care - I just want to be able to connect to the internet.  I'm sending this from a laptop from the same location which seems to have no problem connecting.  I guess it's possible that my laptop has connected to a neighbor's wi-fi but I'm not sure.  Is my desktop actually experiencing a virus and not an internet problem?
Please help!
thanks, Jonathan

ANSWER: This not sound remotely like any legitimate error message.  I would strongly suspect you have malware on that laptop.

Here's why I would do:
- use the working machine, to download the latest copy of MALWAREBYTES.
- COPY it onto a USB drive and plug that into the infected laptop.
- Copy the installer onto the infected laptop (do Not run from USB drive)
- run installer from infected laptop.
- during installation it will want you to reboot one or more times to check for special things in memory etc.  It's a very good smart program.
- Let it do it's thing then do a FULL scan.

It would also be wise to install and scan all your other machines.

Note if the installer FAILS, then you have a pretty nasty virus/malware.  Really bad stuff tries to prevent MALWAREBYTES from being installed.  If that happens let me know.  It gets more complicated .... And you'll need some one who has some hardware to fix it.

QUESTION: Hello.  Thanks for your response.  I followed your instructions and transferred malwarebytes to the infected computer.  But I'm not sure how to run it.  When I open the program from My Computer I don't find any .exe file,  a lot of .dll extensions, but nothing that suggests how to run it.  What file should I be looking for?

ANSWER: The download should be one file that looks like "mbam-setup-" and be about 23-24 MB.  That is what you will wish to transfer over via usb - then run on the infected laptop.

It sounds like you might have installed it on the 1st pc then copied all the installed files - please try again.  

QUESTION: Nope, still can't find it.  Am I doing this correctly?  I go to "Computer" click on "Hard Drive C", then "Program Files", then "Malwarebytes".  When I open that I get a list of files but not the one you've suggested.

Right try - wrong spot.  When you looked in the Program File area - you were looking for the area that you already installed the software on the working laptop.  That isn't what you want - you want the actual INSTALLER. Those will never be located in Program files.

On the laptop that you used to DOWNLOAD it - do a search from C:\.  Don't dive into subfolders.  Just use the Root C:/ and let your computer do all your work for you.  In fact, this is Good Practice - Unless you really KNOW where something is going to be - just do your search from C:/.  Windows stores all sorts of stuff in places that aren't obvious.  Even I don't always know the crazy spots that files get stored.

Do a search for "mbam*.*" (without the quotes).  Your PC will probably find it in a location that looks something like "computer/local disk (c)/users/YOURPROFILE/Downloads".

The mbam*.* indicates (the file name must START with "mbam" but then can have anything at all afterwards - and with any file type / extension.  The *.* is called a wild card.  This way, you aren't going to get too specific and miss what you are looking for.

Now, you will find the EXE for the Mbam installer - it'll be probably about 23-24 MB.

Please see the attached graphics - they will also help you to figure out where your Web Browser actually stores the files that it downloads.  

General Networking/Lan/Wan

Jeff K

Specialist in leveraging technology toward fulfilling a customer's business objectives: enhancing revenues and giving them a competitive advantage in the marketplace.

Networks: architecture, design, monitoring and trouble-shooting
Technologies: Bandwidth Management (QoS), WAN Optimization, Application Performance Management (APM), User Experience Management

Over 20 years in computers and networking. Strong, broad-based expertise from years in Operations and Sales Engineering at major corporations and hardware vendors.

B.A., various courses in computers and networking as well as many many years of OJT (on the job training) and real-world experience.