General Networking/Lan/Wan/picking the right business router

Question
Hello and thank you for taking my question. I work for a cottage resort and we would like to improve our WiFi throughout the resort public spaces. At the moment, we have a Charter modem that connects to a NetGear N600 WiFi router (Router 1). Router 1 is hard wired to a second N600 WiFi router a distance away (Router 2). Router 2 is in turn hardwired to a third N600 a bit further down. Hardwired distances are no greater than 100 yards. (One to Two is about 30 yards, two to three is about 70 yards) In other words, each router is daisy chained to the next and router one is connected to the modem. Our contracted internet speed is 15 Mb/S

This system works fine when volume (connections) are low however when we have big meetings with a over a hundred people the system bandwidth is limited and people can hardly connect, if at all.

Is there a better connection scheme or better routers we could use to ensure peak time availability of the network/internet?

Answer
Hi Bill,
First thing to do is make sure that what ever you are using to issue IP address has a large enough pole to be able to issue one to every device that requests one. Plan one each guest having at least two devices, phone and notebook (and possibly even a taplet). I would also consider not using a 192.168.X.X with a 255.255.255.0 subnet mask network, but at least a 172.16.X.X with a 255.255.0.0 subnet mask. A 172.16.X.X net work will provide you plenty of IP addresses if it is configured correctly.

I am guessing that your netgear devices are home devices, meaning they are designed for very small networks. If at times you could have a hundred people or more connected to your network at once I would not use Netgear or any other brand home product. My guess, not being there, is that the your current equipment cannot handle the amount of traffic and gets overloaded trying.

If you have that many people connected to your network at one time on a regular basis I would use a Cisco Small business (less expensive) or equivalent product for both your access points and Cisco (more expensive) for your router.

I also would not daisy chain the access points. Have them all run back to the router, using at least CaT 5e if not cat 6 or 7. Make sure that any two adjacent APs are not using the same channel and only use channels 1, 6 and 11 as they are the only ones that do not overlap. Using the same channel could cause connection issues.

General Networking/Lan/Wan

Computers Unlimited LLC