General Networking/Lan/Wan/RE: internet connection

Question
Hello,

My current job requires me to work from home.
The benefits of living in a triplex apartment is that in the summer, I work in the cool basement. In a few months, as the temperatures cool down, I hope to work in the apartment on the 3 floor.

At home the router is situated on the second floor in the far left corner of the building (facing the backyard). My basement office is directly underneath it. So far I have not experienced any problems with the internet connection. The future office on the 3rd floor will be located in a room which faces the front yard.

The below diagram is a top view of one apartment floor.

back yard
----------------|
1          2|
         |
         |
3          4|
________________|

1- where the wifi is located
2 - wifi connection not bad
3 and 4 - wifi connection weak

Even on the second floor, at times the wifi connection is not strong, depending on which room I am at. Oddly enough, our router is less than a year old. I'm worried when I move to my new office there will be problems with the wifi.

Besides getting another router, do you know of any gadgets that can improve the wifi connectivity?

Thank you for reading.

Steven

Answer
Hi Steven,
If the current router has external antennas you can replace them with bigger antennas that can push the signal further than the current ones. If the router is dual band (IE 2.4 and 5 giga hertz) make sure the antennas are duel band. However this option is not optimal.

This is the only option that does not require buying an additional router.

General Networking/Lan/Wan

Computers Unlimited LLC