General Retail Business Issues/Questions

SubjectDate AskedExpert
Reliable data2/27/2017James E. Dion
  Q: I seek your guidance for reliable data to complete my business plan. I have scoured the internet ...
  A: Yes, it is amazing that in this connected world statistics about retail performance are hard to come ...
Expanding Online3/11/2016James E. Dion
  Q: We own a men's clothing boutique in our local mall. We have been open around 8 years and every year ...
  A: E-commerce is no longer just an option, it has to be done. You must sell on your website as there ...
How to get started in gift shop retail?12/18/2015James E. Dion
  Q: Sir; Before I begin, I must say how impressed I am with your credentials - and the emphasis on ...
  A: Curt, Thanks for the compliment! You really need to do a few things to make this dream a reality ...
which product sells the most?10/11/2015James E. Dion
  Q: My question is does coffee or women's dress shoes sell more as far as online and in the united ...
  A: Chris, If your question is number of items then Coffee and tea wins if it is dollar volume of sales ...
Question regarding importing and repackaging food in the US?7/5/2015James E. Dion
  Q: I would like to import honey from Turkey in bulk quantities, and then repackage it here in the US. ...
  A: Akrm, You should inquire with the US Department of Agriculture if you are allowed to import honey. ...
Trade Show Wholesaler Process Question2/20/2015James E. Dion
  Q: Our company is an importer of home décor and giftware. We have exhibited at trade shows for 15 ...
  A: Kim, Retailers will take advantage of you as long as you allow it. Simply have a policy of no order ...
one legal...8/15/2014Jeff Bender
  Q: how are you doing. thanks for reading this question. I have one legal question about labelling ...
  A: I apologize for the delay in response. This isn't exactly cut and dry, however I would say unless ...
Re: Markups on Products6/4/2014Stu Jordan
  Q: I'd appreciate your answer to the following: I've been in contact with a company in the Philippines ...
  A: You have not specified the cost of the product, so to answer your question on a more holistic level, ...
Markups on Products6/4/2014James E. Dion
  A: Howard, It is not possible for me to be completely accurate without knowing what the item is. ...
Markups on Products6/4/2014Jeff Bender
  A: Howard, The answer to your question isn't black & white. What you can expect the retailer to mark ...
Retail Margin5/15/2014Jeff Bender
  Q: I have a product that I am looking to sell to specialty / boutique stores and I am wondering about ...
  A: Bob, There is no single answer for the margin any retailer needs to sell a product for in order to ...
Specialty Retail5/15/2014James E. Dion
  A: Bob, It somewhat depends on the type of specialty store you are selling into. For example, a fashion ...
Employee hours5/13/2014Jeff Bender
  Q: I have a question that I've pondered for many years, as I've known numerous people that work in the ...
  A: Seems like it should be fairly simple doesn't it? Problems enter quickly however. Students have ...
retail pricing4/3/2014James E. Dion
  Q: I have a small retail store front that sells wine and beer making supplies. Assuming the customer is ...
  A: Randy, Good question. You correctly identified the problem with raising a price on the shelf to then ...
retail pricing4/3/2014Jeff Bender
  A: Randy, I have found the best use of discounting is in order to drive traffic into the store. If the ...
setting prices from manufacturing body/facial lotionsto wholesale2/27/2014Stu Jordan
  Q: I have a bath and body products line that I have started.I have sold at craft shows and online but ...
  A: Well done on the plan to expand your business! Wholesale pricing and markup is probably the area I ...
Todays' economy vs. 1950's11/17/2013James E. Dion
  Q: This question has been nagging me but nobody has been able to answer it for me. As we all know, all ...
  A: SK, The one thing that your are missing about the 50's is that there were no "low cost" producing ...
Starting a Business10/20/2013James E. Dion
  Q: I am wanting to open my own business, but I am having a hard time making a decision of which I ...
  A: Kristie, I apologize for the delay in answering this question. What type of store you should open ...
product manufacture issue8/14/2013James E. Dion
  Q: I am in the process of launching a new brand within the watch market in the UK. I have identified a ...
  A: Stephen, It is impossible to guess if the other brand will go after you for copyright or brand ...
Wholesale pricing when dealing with a variety of retailers7/2/2013James E. Dion
  Q: Dion, I am in negotiations for establishing a subsidiary for a foreign manufacturer where I would ...
  A: Dan, If it was only that easy! First of all, in the United States, you have to offer the same ...
Conjoint/Discrete Choice Analysis and pricing5/22/2013James E. Dion
  Q: Good Day Dr. Dion, My name is Mark Mancini. My question for you is regarding a study I am ...
  A: Mark, It is not that simple. The attribute that you are measuring in a retail environment has more ...
College Honors Program Fundraising5/19/2013James E. Dion
  Q: I was recently elected as the head of Fundraising for my college's Honors Program for a full ...
  A: What you have to offer these companies is exposure to future customers. Prepare your request by ...
General Retail5/14/2013James E. Dion
  Q: What is the general markup for women's footwear and a restaurant?
  A: Larry, Wow, talk about two different businesses! Women's footwear has between a 50% to 65% markup ...
Initial Approach towards the companies5/11/2013James E. Dion
  Q: We are manufacturing unit dealing in cleaning and processing of various kinds of whole spices, ...
  A: Vishal, If you wish to be successful you will likely need to do all four! Divide your potential ...
Mark up's3/11/2013James E. Dion
  Q: I've read a lot about clothing mark ups and 50 percent seems to be the norm. We have a product we ...
  A: Ken, Good question! First of all, the "standard" margin in fashion clothing today (H&M, Zara, Top ...
Calculating cost when margin is unknown11/21/2012James E. Dion
  Q: What is the formula to use to calculate the cost of an item when the margin is unknown, but MU% and ...
  A: Cathy, In retail the formula for margin and cost is simple. Retail price always equals 100%, so if ...
consumer complaints11/16/2012James E. Dion
  Q: Many years ago a college professor talked about a business law or rule dealing with the ratio ...
  A: It is amazing how college professors extrapolate truisms from almost no data! Just about every ...
Target Margins of Retailers for Bathroom Hardware11/8/2012James E. Dion
  Q: We are a wholesaler of bathroom hardware in Canada (towel bars, robe hooks, towel rings and paper ...
  A: Dawn, the margin a store like Home Depot would want would be around 35 to 40% while a specialty ...
Wholesale to Europe9/19/2012James E. Dion
  Q: My fiancé and I have decided to start a business selling shoes from South America to Europe. Based ...
  A: Isabelle, First of all, a vendor should not markup their cost just because they believe the product ...
manufacturer to retailer markup8/25/2012James E. Dion
  Q: I am planning to start a sterling silver jewelry manufacturing business based on designs that have ...
  A: Jim, You did not mention if you were going to sell direct or use wholesalers and distributors. You ...
Pricing Structures and Profit Margins8/20/2012Stu Jordan
  Q: My company has created an all natural remedy for a very common infant malady. We've been selling on ...
  A: Always exciting to see the entrepreneurial spirit alive and well. With regard to your questions: ...
WHOLESALE PRICING7/24/2012Stu Jordan
  Q: I am a clotihng designer getting ready to sell my first collection. I am trying to get an idea of ...
  A: Well done on taking a leap into business! Without knowing what you believe the MSRP/RRP to be (eg, ...
Product package7/5/2012James E. Dion
  Q: It has the consistency of flour. It's not poisonous, but should be sealed so it won't leak in ...
  A: Michael, You have to use plastic as the customer will expect to be able to use it "right out of the ...
Retail Export Sales7/2/2012James E. Dion
  Q: I am currently selling t-shirts printed in the US through Amazon and would like to sell them outside ...
  A: Duane, There is no EU Amazon site, there is however Amazon UK and you would have to register to ...
Supplier > Retailer relationship5/27/2012Stu Jordan
  Q: I have established a US company which imports and supplies art materials and until now have sold ...
  A: well done on getting a new product ready for market - always an exciting time. Firstly, you may set ...
Export to EU5/23/2012James E. Dion
  Q: We are purchasing US brand label clothing from a US distributor to export to an EU country for ...
  A: Helen, Every brand has its own export policy and partners. The brands that will not allow you to ...
IT consulting in retail space5/14/2012James E. Dion
  Q: I am looking to engage an IT consultant to review my company's 50+ location retail IT system. Who ...
  A: We used to partner with Rena Granofsky who I believed to be one of the best in the country. Rena is ...
Wholesale/retail pricing4/3/2012James E. Dion
  Q: I have recently patented a new product that can be used for odor elimination for athletic equipment ...
  A: Michael, The size of the item does not affect the selling price or margin, the store that you sell ...
New type of tool3/26/2012James E. Dion
  Q: I came across an answer that you posted in experts site (2 that had to do with pricing an item. I ...
  A: Pete, Takes me back! I once worked in a factory building trusses! But that was too many years ago ...
wholesale buy3/7/2012James E. Dion
  Q: I am in a process of opening women clothing online business. Is there any technique to find ...
  A: Anna, There is no special technique, you do need to determine where you are going to source the ...

Page:    1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10   |  Next       All

General Retail Business Issues

James E. Dion

Top Expert on this page