General Retail Business Issues/Target Margins of Retailers for Bathroom Hardware

Question
QUESTION: We are a wholesaler of bathroom hardware in Canada (towel bars, robe hooks, towel rings and paper holders).  I am interested to learn what a retailers target margin would be in their stores for this product so that I may price my wholesale prices accordingly.  I know it won't be an exact number but a ballpark would be helpful.  Specifically I am looking to sell to a "discount department type store".  Your help, insight and direction is greatly appreciated.

ANSWER: Dawn, the margin a store like Home Depot would want would be around 35 to 40% while a specialty retailer would need at least 50%. Hope this helps, I am on a plane at the moment and typing this on an iPhone! And rember, the margin is on selling price and not cost.

QUESTION: Thanks for the quick reply!  Don't get in trouble for having your iPhone turned on!  Ok, what would mark-up look like then in the same scenario?

Answer
Dawn,
Sorry for the delay, long flight! Here is an example using a wholesale of $25.00, if the retailer pays $25 and needs to make a 40%  margin, all they need to do is to divide the cost ($25) by the reciprocal of the margin percentage which is 60% (selling is always 100% so if the margin is 40% then the cost is 60%). So, $25 divided by .60 equals $41.66 which is not a retail price so it would be rounded up to $42 which if they sold it at that price at a cost of $25 their gross profit would be $17 which is 40.5% of the retail price of $42.  

I know that this may make you want to pour a glass of wine! But take your time and re-read it many times and plug in different numbers in place of what I have given you. Trust me, eventually it will make sense!  You can email me directly at jimdion@dionco.com if you have more questions! My Father was from Quebec City and I was born in Chicago, I lived in Toronto for ten years and both of my kids are Canadian citizens and currently live in Chicago.

General Retail Business Issues

James E. Dion