General Retail Business Issues/College Honors Program Fundraising

I was recently elected as the head of Fundraising for my college's Honors Program for a full one-year term. As I'm sure you know and can guess, the Honors Program is for students who choose to excel, take pride in their education and develop excellence in their life and leadership skills. A large part of my action plan for the coming year involves securing donations, particularly product donations, for use in raffles and giveaways at events, etc. Also there will be efforts to secure product donations for use by the Honors Program, such as business software, web memberships, use of company resources and other things that would help our college's Honors Program and its students to have the best opportunity to succeed. What I am seeking is advice on how to approach both local and large businesses in a way that is likely to yield a willingness for them to partner with us and assist us with their products and resources. A general example would be approaching Apple or Sony for a product donation for use in a raffle, but could be as specific as soliciting a life coach for the donation of a free afternoon of coaching for Honors Program members. Any expert guidance would be much appreciated.

Dear Wade,
What you have to offer these companies is exposure to future customers. Prepare your request by letting these companies know that their generosity will be noted in many different ways. Most companies have sponsorship budgets and they view this as a form of advertising. Tell them how many times their name will be used, in what publications will they be mentioned and how many students and parents will hear about their support.

Good Luck

General Retail Business Issues

James E. Dion

Most questions about trends in specialty retail, how customers are changing both in the US and Europe. Demographics for all countries as they relate to retail trends and issues. Store Operations, Buying and Merchandising.

Over 40 years in the retail industry, store level, store manager, buyer, merchandise manager, Vice President.

BS Psychology, MS Psychology, PhD(abd) Industrial Psychology Illinois Institute of Technology

Microsoft, Harley-Davidson, Ritz-Carlton, Hummer, Williams-Sonoma, Ace Hardware, Coleman Spas, Aldo, Intel, Dell, Safeway, New Balance, IBM, Kodak, Bata International, Nortel Networks, Honey Baked Ham Co., Man Alive, Highsmith
B.S Chicago State University M.S. Chicago State University PhD (abd) Illinois Institute of Technology