General Retail Business Issues/Question regarding importing and repackaging food in the US?

I would like to import honey from Turkey in bulk quantities, and then repackage it here in the US.

My question is, please list all of the things that I need to do to achieve my goal? I am interested in details of the importing and repackaging requirements.

Detailed answers and multiple answers that target the question from different angles are very welcome.

You should inquire with the US Department of Agriculture if you are allowed to import honey. If it is possible you would then need to get state regulations on processing of food products which can be very strict. This is not a low cost venture. You will likely have to demonstrate how you will process the honey (that is how you will receive it and repackage it, in to what type of containers, how you will clean them, sealing of the new containers insuring no contaminants have been introduced). Basically you will have to have a surgical clean environment for this to happen. Right now the US is a little paranoid about the bee colonies so I have no idea how restrictive import of honey may be.

Good luck.

You may also want to check with the Turkish trade commission here in the US as they may be able to help you.

General Retail Business Issues

James E. Dion

Most questions about trends in specialty retail, how customers are changing both in the US and Europe. Demographics for all countries as they relate to retail trends and issues. Store Operations, Buying and Merchandising.

Over 40 years in the retail industry, store level, store manager, buyer, merchandise manager, Vice President.

BS Psychology, MS Psychology, PhD(abd) Industrial Psychology Illinois Institute of Technology

Microsoft, Harley-Davidson, Ritz-Carlton, Hummer, Williams-Sonoma, Ace Hardware, Coleman Spas, Aldo, Intel, Dell, Safeway, New Balance, IBM, Kodak, Bata International, Nortel Networks, Honey Baked Ham Co., Man Alive, Highsmith
B.S Chicago State University M.S. Chicago State University PhD (abd) Illinois Institute of Technology