General Retail Business Issues/Questions Answered by Expert Stu Jordan

SubjectDate Asked
Re: Markups on Products6/4/2014
  Q: I'd appreciate your answer to the following: I've been in contact with a company in the Philippines ...
  A: You have not specified the cost of the product, so to answer your question on a more holistic level, ...
setting prices from manufacturing body/facial lotionsto wholesale2/27/2014
  Q: I have a bath and body products line that I have started.I have sold at craft shows and online but ...
  A: Well done on the plan to expand your business! Wholesale pricing and markup is probably the area I ...
Pricing Structures and Profit Margins8/20/2012
  Q: My company has created an all natural remedy for a very common infant malady. We've been selling on ...
  A: Always exciting to see the entrepreneurial spirit alive and well. With regard to your questions: ...
WHOLESALE PRICING7/24/2012
  Q: I am a clotihng designer getting ready to sell my first collection. I am trying to get an idea of ...
  A: Well done on taking a leap into business! Without knowing what you believe the MSRP/RRP to be (eg, ...
Supplier > Retailer relationship5/27/2012
  Q: I have established a US company which imports and supplies art materials and until now have sold ...
  A: well done on getting a new product ready for market - always an exciting time. Firstly, you may set ...
Pricing - wholesale & retail12/20/2011
  Q: I’ve a patent pending for necktie. A factory in China helped make my prototype. If I can find a ...
  A: Well done on getting a patent, hope the rest of the process goes well - it is a big thing for ...
Sales Comission for Retail Manager10/10/2011
  Q: I am plannig to open a retail store (jewelry price average range of $50~300) I wonder how commision ...
  A: Opening a retail business is exciting, so I hope you are enjoying the process. To answer your ...
Shoe retail9/29/2011
  Q: I am setting up my own shoe business where shoes are made of recycled and sustainable products. Can ...
  A: Interesting business concept - sustainable footwear! You should be able to generate some great PR ...
starting a furniture business8/17/2011
  Q: My husband and I are considering opening a furniture store in a fairly large town where there is ...
  A: Starting a business is an exciting time, but if you do not have previous experience in retail, I ...
New Business - Retail v Wholesale Query7/20/2011
  Q: I recently setup an online shop selling designer doggie clothes and accessories but now I am looking ...
  A: Doggie accessories - cute! You are correct, there is no magic number for calculating costs. I am ...
Wholesale Pricing Bath & Body Goods7/19/2011
  Q: I currently sell handcrafted glycerin soaps and bath goods. I have a store thrilled with my product ...
  A: Without more information (do you manufacture or buy from a local distributor, or import these?; how ...
distributorship issues7/5/2011
  Q: really glad you are willing to entertain questions from a real beginner. I am seriously considering ...
  A: Apologies for the delay in answering - sometimes business calls! It is great to see you have ...
Manufacturing markup - clothing6/18/2011
  Q: I manufacture clothing (not in-house, I work with a factory in the United States). I am trying to ...
  A: Sounds like an exciting time in your business! To be successful, you need sales. In your model, it ...
target mark up & seasonal stores6/17/2011
  Q: I own a retail store in CT. We sell team licensed products ie. yankees, red sox, bruins, dallas ...
  A: Your first question is a big one - and I have written about this many times. I do not believe for a ...
wholesale price with pos cost and delivery cost4/28/2011
  Q: we sell handmade sweets. our cost includes ingredients and packaging is £2.44(no labour cost ...
  A: As it so happens, I am in the confectionery business - as a retailer, so this question is one I am ...
Retail to wholesale4/25/2011
  Q: Stu, I have a furniture import store and due to the economy it is very slow. I have thought about ...
  A: Furniture retailing is incredibly competitive and one of the hardest hit during recession - people ...
Slow business day (all year)4/9/2011
  Q: I own a bead shop, and I would really appreciate some advice. But perhaps a little background on the ...
  A: I am currently based in NZ, and retail here is very tough right now, I can easily say the toughest ...
Distributor interest4/4/2011
  Q: I currently sell products wholesale to shops in numerous countries and have some people requesting ...
  A: It is a good sign to have a distributor chasing you, usually I get asked how to get products into ...
Commision to give dance studio owners3/28/2011
  Q: I own a small dance supply store in my local area. When talking with one of the Dance Studio owners ...
  A: If your friend is not charging you to be there, then a commission via a percentage of sales is fair. ...
Profit Margin/ Markup3/18/2011
  Q: I am manufacturing a specialty powdered/dry dessert mix that I would like to bring to market. ...
  A: I am often asked questions around pricing products for market. If you look through some of my ...
Getting product in stores.3/2/2011
  Q: Do you know of an effective approach to get products into the large retailers like saks,neiman ...
  A: Getting in front of large retailers can be very challenging. There is not rule book on the best ...
Finding the right supplier2/5/2011
  Q: Hey Stu i was wondering if you could help me find a quality manufacturer or distributor that work ...
  A: and well done on launching your own venture - despite early set backs, it is usually a very exciting ...
pricing structure for online1/24/2011
  Q: Wholesale/ dist. consumer tiers. Is it possible to hire you to create a complete pricing plan to ...
  A: Apologies for the delay - for some reason, allexperts.com didn't send notifications of your ...
New product pricing??1/14/2011
  Q: We are a start up business developing a tourist targeted product, specific to a location on the Med. ...
  A: it makes it easier to give a detailed answer. I will answer with numbers that exclude any sales ...
Helping retailers with cashflow1/11/2011
  Q: Say you are a retailer in apparel goods with a 65% profit margin. On average, for $20 worth of ...
  A: It is an interesting concept. Depending on the store and the average sale price that store ...
Retail for Leather Apparel9/6/2010
  Q: Wow, what a blessing to find this site, thanks in advance for answer my questions. First I have ...
  A: Apologies for the delay in answering! Busy times in my retail business! Well done on launching a ...
Selling Personal Artwork8/24/2010
  Q: I am in the process of creating a type of artwork that will be print based however each one will be ...
  A: My recommendation is that you test the market first - otherwise you are simply guessing! A couple ...
wholesale vs retail???8/6/2010
  Q: As an artist being able to reproduce the artwork in the form of prints on canvas has opened up new ...
  A: It sounds like you have a great idea. What you will need to do is conduct some research as to price ...
E Commerce and Wholesale6/4/2010
  Q: How does an e-commerce store that shows prices of their product, sell wholesale to retail stores? ...
  A: Your question does not have quite enough information for me to give you a more specific answer - I ...
Freight on Board Pricing5/29/2010
  Q: I have a product that is being produced in Ningbo,China. I have multiple customers that want to buy ...
  A: It sounds like you have a desirable product, with multiple customers wishing to buy FOB out of ...
suggested retail pricing5/1/2010
  Q: I have a questions about suggested retail pricing from both the wholesale and retail perspective. As ...
  A: One of the most common areas I get questioned about as a Retail Consultant is that of pricing, and ...
retail prosperity sys2/19/2010
  Q: I am thinking to reinventing new product line in to my exiting gift business. Since last few months ...
  A: I don't post out copies of this, it is sold in electronic format. I am happy to email you a copy of ...
Wholesale vs Retail price1/27/2010
  Q: The business industry is aromatherapy products - sprays, washes, masage oils etc. Supplie in 100ml ...
  A: It is nice to get a question with so much detail! Your production costs are very high in ...
Wholesale and retail mark-up in gift industry1/6/2010
  Q: My product is a rubber coin pouch made of silicone. I try to market it as a design-led gift and a ...
  A: Sounds like an interesting product. I would not advise you have different wholesale prices to each ...
New account and gifts12/15/2009
  Q: I have started a new business importing high-end gift items into the US. I don't have the budget to ...
  A: Sending these as a free gift is not advisable. Most department stores and chains have very strict ...
from FOB price to retail price11/20/2009
  Q: I am trying to work out how to calculate back from a retail price to the FOB (from a port in China) ...
  A: Congratulations on starting out on your own venture. The FOB price quoted by Chinese manufactures ...
Need more info about POS10/28/2009
  Q: I want to set up the Asian Grocery store near my town. I did some research about it, and it seems ...
  A: POS is short for Point of Sale, and in this context refers to the 'computerized system' you have ...
costing right price9/26/2009
  Q: Greetings! I just want to ask you a few question regarding my small boutique im selling cloths t ...
  A: In my time as a Retail Consultant, questions around pricing strategies are the most common. And it ...
Retail Mark-up9/10/2009
  Q: What is the average mark-up for retailers on an apparel item like Ties and cravats? Also where do I ...
  A: Regarding the query regarding average mark-up. Mark-up is a very clumsy tool for retail pricing. I ...
Pricing strategy7/21/2009
  Q: I have been leasing space at an antique mall for 6 months. I'm well aware of the reasoning behind ...
  A: As a retailer, you see and perceive things in retail differently from most consumers. To answer ...
Pricing7/15/2009
  Q: I have a new baked product and beautiful bags for marketing. my 1st ?, to come up with the price of ...
  A: Sounds like you have a great opportunity in front of you. Getting your pricing right from the ...
advertising6/24/2009
  Q: How much would it cost to advertise the opening of a fashion boutique?
  A: Excellent question! I am in the process of opening a retail store at the moment, and the question ...
Information Management6/19/2009
  Q: I am researching what business challenges Retail businesses face on a day-to-day basis in regards to ...
  A: Interesting question. There are a few pain points that may be of interest to you. However, every ...
Best way to collect donations at retail store?5/16/2009
  Q: Recently I designed some “in case of fire-save our pets” stickers that could be distributed to pet ...
  A: Well done on your project! There are two ways I would recommend you go about this. You have a ...
Fashion retailing4/25/2009
  Q: I m a Retail Operation Manager of a new Grand Boutique.The store space is around 600sqm, in a two ...
  A: and thank you for the question. I am not sure statistics will be much help to you here, as every ...
Retail mark up on Shoes4/9/2009
  Q: Do you have any idea of what the general retail markup % is on a pair of golf shoes as well as a ...
  A: this is a great question, and on a topic I get asked by retailers all the time. Mark up between ...

All Questions in This Category

General Retail Business Issues

Stu Jordan

Top Expert on this page