General Retail Business Issues/Questions Answered by Expert James E. Dion

SubjectDate Asked
Reliable data2/27/2017
  Q: I seek your guidance for reliable data to complete my business plan. I have scoured the internet ...
  A: Yes, it is amazing that in this connected world statistics about retail performance are hard to come ...
Expanding Online3/11/2016
  Q: We own a men's clothing boutique in our local mall. We have been open around 8 years and every year ...
  A: E-commerce is no longer just an option, it has to be done. You must sell on your website as there ...
How to get started in gift shop retail?12/18/2015
  Q: Sir; Before I begin, I must say how impressed I am with your credentials - and the emphasis on ...
  A: Curt, Thanks for the compliment! You really need to do a few things to make this dream a reality ...
which product sells the most?10/11/2015
  Q: My question is does coffee or women's dress shoes sell more as far as online and in the united ...
  A: Chris, If your question is number of items then Coffee and tea wins if it is dollar volume of sales ...
Question regarding importing and repackaging food in the US?7/5/2015
  Q: I would like to import honey from Turkey in bulk quantities, and then repackage it here in the US. ...
  A: Akrm, You should inquire with the US Department of Agriculture if you are allowed to import honey. ...
Trade Show Wholesaler Process Question2/20/2015
  Q: Our company is an importer of home décor and giftware. We have exhibited at trade shows for 15 ...
  A: Kim, Retailers will take advantage of you as long as you allow it. Simply have a policy of no order ...
Markups on Products6/4/2014
  Q: I'd appreciate your answer to the following: I've been in contact with a company in the Philippines ...
  A: Howard, It is not possible for me to be completely accurate without knowing what the item is. ...
Specialty Retail5/15/2014
  Q: I have a product that I am looking to sell to specialty / boutique stores and I am wondering about ...
  A: Bob, It somewhat depends on the type of specialty store you are selling into. For example, a fashion ...
retail pricing4/3/2014
  Q: I have a small retail store front that sells wine and beer making supplies. Assuming the customer is ...
  A: Randy, Good question. You correctly identified the problem with raising a price on the shelf to then ...
Todays' economy vs. 1950's11/17/2013
  Q: This question has been nagging me but nobody has been able to answer it for me. As we all know, all ...
  A: SK, The one thing that your are missing about the 50's is that there were no "low cost" producing ...
Starting a Business10/20/2013
  Q: I am wanting to open my own business, but I am having a hard time making a decision of which I ...
  A: Kristie, I apologize for the delay in answering this question. What type of store you should open ...
product manufacture issue8/14/2013
  Q: I am in the process of launching a new brand within the watch market in the UK. I have identified a ...
  A: Stephen, It is impossible to guess if the other brand will go after you for copyright or brand ...
Wholesale pricing when dealing with a variety of retailers7/2/2013
  Q: Dion, I am in negotiations for establishing a subsidiary for a foreign manufacturer where I would ...
  A: Dan, If it was only that easy! First of all, in the United States, you have to offer the same ...
Conjoint/Discrete Choice Analysis and pricing5/22/2013
  Q: Good Day Dr. Dion, My name is Mark Mancini. My question for you is regarding a study I am ...
  A: Mark, It is not that simple. The attribute that you are measuring in a retail environment has more ...
College Honors Program Fundraising5/19/2013
  Q: I was recently elected as the head of Fundraising for my college's Honors Program for a full ...
  A: What you have to offer these companies is exposure to future customers. Prepare your request by ...
General Retail5/14/2013
  Q: What is the general markup for women's footwear and a restaurant?
  A: Larry, Wow, talk about two different businesses! Women's footwear has between a 50% to 65% markup ...
Initial Approach towards the companies5/11/2013
  Q: We are manufacturing unit dealing in cleaning and processing of various kinds of whole spices, ...
  A: Vishal, If you wish to be successful you will likely need to do all four! Divide your potential ...
Mark up's3/11/2013
  Q: I've read a lot about clothing mark ups and 50 percent seems to be the norm. We have a product we ...
  A: Ken, Good question! First of all, the "standard" margin in fashion clothing today (H&M, Zara, Top ...
Calculating cost when margin is unknown11/21/2012
  Q: What is the formula to use to calculate the cost of an item when the margin is unknown, but MU% and ...
  A: Cathy, In retail the formula for margin and cost is simple. Retail price always equals 100%, so if ...
consumer complaints11/16/2012
  Q: Many years ago a college professor talked about a business law or rule dealing with the ratio ...
  A: It is amazing how college professors extrapolate truisms from almost no data! Just about every ...
Target Margins of Retailers for Bathroom Hardware11/8/2012
  Q: We are a wholesaler of bathroom hardware in Canada (towel bars, robe hooks, towel rings and paper ...
  A: Dawn, the margin a store like Home Depot would want would be around 35 to 40% while a specialty ...
Wholesale to Europe9/19/2012
  Q: My fiancé and I have decided to start a business selling shoes from South America to Europe. Based ...
  A: Isabelle, First of all, a vendor should not markup their cost just because they believe the product ...
manufacturer to retailer markup8/25/2012
  Q: I am planning to start a sterling silver jewelry manufacturing business based on designs that have ...
  A: Jim, You did not mention if you were going to sell direct or use wholesalers and distributors. You ...
Product package7/5/2012
  Q: It has the consistency of flour. It's not poisonous, but should be sealed so it won't leak in ...
  A: Michael, You have to use plastic as the customer will expect to be able to use it "right out of the ...
Retail Export Sales7/2/2012
  Q: I am currently selling t-shirts printed in the US through Amazon and would like to sell them outside ...
  A: Duane, There is no EU Amazon site, there is however Amazon UK and you would have to register to ...
Export to EU5/23/2012
  Q: We are purchasing US brand label clothing from a US distributor to export to an EU country for ...
  A: Helen, Every brand has its own export policy and partners. The brands that will not allow you to ...
IT consulting in retail space5/14/2012
  Q: I am looking to engage an IT consultant to review my company's 50+ location retail IT system. Who ...
  A: We used to partner with Rena Granofsky who I believed to be one of the best in the country. Rena is ...
Wholesale/retail pricing4/3/2012
  Q: I have recently patented a new product that can be used for odor elimination for athletic equipment ...
  A: Michael, The size of the item does not affect the selling price or margin, the store that you sell ...
New type of tool3/26/2012
  Q: I came across an answer that you posted in experts site (2 that had to do with pricing an item. I ...
  A: Pete, Takes me back! I once worked in a factory building trusses! But that was too many years ago ...
wholesale buy3/7/2012
  Q: I am in a process of opening women clothing online business. Is there any technique to find ...
  A: Anna, There is no special technique, you do need to determine where you are going to source the ...
markup and suppliers2/21/2012
  Q: I am writing a business plan for my Small Business Management class and wanted to ask you a few ...
  A: Austin, We generally do not do homework questions, but I will make an exception. Wal-Mart is an ...
How to best price the products1/13/2012
  Q: I'm an artist turned designer. Recently one of London's most prestigious stores expressed a keen ...
  A: Michaela, I am no expert on VAT but my understanding is that it is paid by you but you then get it ...
Boutique & specialty stores1/12/2012
  Q: My questions weren’t homework. I am about to start approaching clothing & accessory boutique and ...
  A: Tony, I marked this as a homework question because it requires a lot of research to answer. There is ...
selling to large retailers1/6/2012
  Q: I have been contacted and have a meeting with a buyer from one of the largest department retailers ...
  A: Sophie, I already answered your prior question and yes, to this one. If you sell under the same ...
Large Retailer wants to stock products1/6/2012
  Q: Happy New Year. I am a small business who designs my products and then has others manufacture ...
  A: Sophie, Great way to go. If this European retailer is also going to sell online the price will be ...
Customer metrics11/9/2011
  Q: Do retailers have a way of determining what their avg customer spends per month or year? How would ...
  A: Yes, many retailers capture this data at Point of Sale by either asking for a phone number, or ...
all sales are final policy10/30/2011
  Q: I ordered from a company and the items were not in stock at the time and the consultant told me they ...
  A: Although this is not a typical retail question I will attempt to answer. I take it for granted that ...
Margin Rate9/23/2011
  Q: I saw your previous answer for a question regarding general retail business issue on 4/30/09. You ...
  A: Aiden, You can look at www.retailowner.com which has some margin info, but the real gold standard is ...
How to determine market saturation7/19/2011
  Q: I would like to start a fast food restaurant. Restaurants don't have a good success rate and there ...
  A: Marva, Saturation is not really the question, what type of fast food are you going to offer? If ...
Surviving a slow economy with a retail business7/14/2011
  Q: My consignment( home furnishings)business is going nowhere in this economy despite its location in ...
  A: Great question. Many retailers are finding that it is quality not quantity of hours that count. You ...
Exporting apparel to Holland7/5/2011
  Q: My friend is a web designer from Holland with an affinity for brand name men's clothing. When he ...
  A: Dominic, Great question. Many Europeans notice the difference in prices in the US vs Europe. What ...
Items that sell6/19/2011
  Q: I believe I last asked you about online businesses in lower volume and you suggested Ebay and ...
  A: James, Think of yourself. For everyday things you either shop locally (and pay a little more for the ...
Evaluating Trends6/8/2011
  Q: I work for a non-profit public library. I am trying to analyze the trends of our patrons when it ...
  A: Carl, Interesting question! Your approach appears to be a good one. With trends, generally the ...
BUSINESS OUT OF NYCH6/7/2011
  Q: MY NAME IS ROSEMARY AND AM CURRENTLY LIVING IN A NEW YORK CITY HOUSING APARTMENT. I WANT TO START A ...
  A: It would depend on what type of business and the rules of your apartment association. Some buildings ...
Retail6/4/2011
  Q: What types of products tend to sell these days online? I am looking for an online business I could ...
  A: James, To your first question, people are buying on line like crazy. On line sales are up double ...
gross margin for selling to Mass merchandisers5/7/2011
  Q: I own a company which sells floral items to large retailers. For these products after considering ...
  A: Mark, What you are telling me, if I interpret your description correctly, is that after all ...
Re-selling Products4/13/2011
  Q: My wife is wanting to buy and then re-sell branded products from the UK in her native Thailand. In ...
  A: Yes you are right about the images being under copyright, but that is the least of the ...
WHOLESALER AND DISTRIBUTOR4/9/2011
  Q: In the cosmetic industry, what is the difference between a wholesaler and a distributor. Is a ...
  A: Azuma, In the cosmetic industry a distributor is someone who has exclusive rights to distribute a ...
Travel Retail Jewelry Industry4/6/2011
  Q: I'm considering a job in the travel retail jewelry industry and just wanted to find out more about ...
  A: Melanie, The travel industry has returned to pre-recession volumes and customers are starting to ...
retail and wholesale4/3/2011
  Q: I have a business designing products and am just now having them mass produced overseas. I have had ...
  A: Jackie, I suspect that you already know the answer to your question. Yes, it is far better and ...
Suggestion Selling and Trading Up4/2/2011
  Q: I read your book "Retail Selling ain't brain surgery, it's twice as hard. 9 steps to successful ...
  A: Peter, Thank you for your interest in the book. Yes, you are right in saying that in many sales ...
Recession, Sales and Markets3/2/2011
  Q: Greetings Mr. Dion, My first question is a request. I am creating a webinar on how small business ...
  A: Lee, yes I would be happy to participate in a Webinar on the changing consumer mindset, that is part ...
Clothing Store in my Apartment3/1/2011
  Q: I came up this crazy idea. I turn one of my bedrooms into a clothing store, and how I market the ...
  A: Nadine, You left out a lot of details! Where do you get the clothes that you sell? Are these friends ...
Branded products sales2/19/2011
  Q: I have a cell phone store, we fix computers and smart phone. We also sell cell phone parts and ...
  A: Mansoor, You do not need permission to sell their products but you do need to be able to purchase ...
Board game store2/7/2011
  Q: I think I may be interested in opening a specialty board game store where I live because I enjoy ...
  A: Paul, You can expect a gross profit on a toy store (and that in essence is what you will be) of ...
can retailer ask for authorization letter and copy of trademark from the company1/22/2011
  Q: I met a big problem with this. I applied to become a retailer for a brand in the States. And we want ...
  A: Yingtan, When you say the company finally gave you permission to sell their products how did they do ...
how do I determine retail price on a wholesale jewelry piece1/21/2011
  Q: I am opening my own organic jewelry line. Pieces are handmade and range from 5 to $30 wholesale. I ...
  A: Janice, Jewelry traditional has supported from 60 to 75% margins on the retail price. So, starting ...
In respose to your answer12/28/2010
  Q: The laws in my country do allow for these kind of promotions. If persons, family, friends wants to ...
  A: Elroy, Yes it makes sense, but I still have two concerns. One, how do you advertise enough so that ...
Second, much larger shop - getting cold feet!12/8/2010
  Q: I have run a successful online craft business for 8 years, and have had a small retail craft shop ...
  A: Michelle, From what you have told me your likely sales in the city center will likely approach ...
Larger store discounts12/1/2010
  Q: We currently have a manufacturer make our own designs which we package and sell wholesale and retail ...
  A: Sophia, Be very, very careful about what you are doing. The large orders may appear appealing but ...
selling to retailers11/29/2010
  Q: I manufacture and sell a custom aftermarket part for American made motorcycles. I have been selling ...
  A: Robin, I don't know if you are doing anything wrong! Your discount to a dealer is very low, I can ...
Co-Branding??11/18/2010
  Q: I have invented my own product and have been selling it online direct to consumers for a few years ...
  A: Josie, From what you told me (I would know more if you were not so secretive about what the product ...
Retail Margins11/17/2010
  Q: I am an expat living in Vietnam and I have designed and manufactured a new concept in bags that I am ...
  A: Charlotte, Yes, the cost is a landed cost and not FOB country of origin. Only very large retailers ...
Retail sales markup10/9/2010
  Q: my wife and I are starting a new sports uniform and sporting goods store. I am just wondering if ...
  A: There is no minimum or maximum markup that can be set by any government body in sporting goods. ...
Calculating product cost10/8/2010
  Q: I plan on manufacturing a skin care product for ocean athletes. I have a target retail and wholesale ...
  A: Chris, I am not an expert on the cost of ingredients, packaging and filling services as percentages ...
Exclusive distribution10/1/2010
  Q: I just want to clarify that the average margin for an exclusive skincare distributor is around 60% ...
  A: Miriam, yes, the margin to the retailer is at least 60% and in most cases it also includes shipping. ...
Wholesale pricing for luxury skincare products9/29/2010
  Q: My friend asked me to assist her with selling her luxury skincare line. Her direct sale prices are ...
  A: Gigi, Unless your friend can count Madonna or another celebrity as a huge fan of the product, ...
ICC and sales tax9/14/2010
  Q: One of our clients owns repair shops in CA, OK, IN. He was told (by a customer) if a customer has ...
  A: Mitzi, Sales tax rules differ by municipality, there may be exemptions for people with ICC numbers ...
Baby Clothing Retail9/9/2010
  Q: I am interested in opening a Baby Retail Store in Fayetteville NC. This is a very big military town ...
  A: Toni, I actually wrote two books that answer your question, one is Start and Run a Retail Business ...
Business start/market research8/28/2010
  Q: I'm in the process of making my business plan. How can I check to see if a certain product in in ...
  A: Patrick, To answer one of your questions, a 50% markup is not out of the question (in retail we ...
Ideal % mark up on clothing wholesale8/24/2010
  Q: I was delighted to come across your website, so much useful information! I have recently started a ...
  A: Ruby, If you have covered your manufacturing and your overheads are just your home office then ...
DEPARTMENT STORES8/21/2010
  Q: I am currently trying to place my cosmetic line into the US market. All the distributors that I ...
  A: Azuma, What you have heard is somewhat true, but because of the huge margins that manufacturers make ...
Establishing cost price to include rent/wages etc8/19/2010
  Q: I have a high end, bespoke furniture retail store. A couple of questions for you please - 1). How ...
  A: N is a strange first name! Your first question requires that you total all your actual or planned ...
Retail mark-up percentage for college merchandise8/11/2010
  Q: I'm bring a new product into the market which is similar to a small nylon tote bag with collegiate ...
  A: Bryan, The more margin you can give a retailer the better, but that is ultimately based on your ...
Marketing6/26/2010
  Q: Mr. Dion I have heard you speak before at our Furniture First meetings and you are wonderful. I ...
  A: Michael, Thank you for the kind words about my speaking! You are right that it is a very different ...
retail markup/margin of cocktail mixes6/14/2010
  Q: Do you know what the average markup or margin is on cocktail mixes? I know the production cost of ...
  A: Tracy, Retailers would like at least a 40% margin and prefer 50% or more. So, if the mix is going to ...
Retailers margins5/29/2010
  Q: I'm launching a mid/high leather bags label in the UK and would like to get a better understanding ...
  A: Hadar, You need to do all your margin calculations including VAT as unlike the US, the VAT is an ...
retail fashion industry5/20/2010
  Q: Where is the best source where I can find info/material on ' the financial impacts of clothing ...
  A: Franco, I do not know of specific data, you may try to ask a researcher at www.just-style.com as ...
Party Planning Calculations5/19/2010
  Q: There's a company here in the UK (and I suppose lots in the US!)called Ann Summers. It's an adult ...
  A: Rachel, You are right that many multi level marketing schemes are illegal. However, many are not. ...
quantity discounts for wholesale pricing4/17/2010
  Q: What is the best strategy for quantity discount pricing for wholesale pricing on a product that ...
  A: Tom, My answer will not apply to all items as margins vary dramatically by type of product. Let's ...
Dancewear retail4/6/2010
  Q: Can you tell me what markup would generally be on dancewear? I am considering opening a retail ...
  A: Kathhleen, The normal mark up on dancewear is 50%, or double cost. However, it is getting more ...
COSMETIC DISTRIBUTORS3/15/2010
  Q: Are there any cosmetic distributors that will take a new product, find a buyer (buyer meaning retail ...
  A: Azuma, There are no reputable companies who do what you want. If there were they would charge you ...
COSMETIC MARK UP3/11/2010
  Q: Can you please advise average markup percentage in the cosmetic industry from the manufacture to the ...
  A: Azuma, Not exactly, lets assume a first cost from the manufacturer that also includes marketing ...
hot dog franchise in a collage campous3/10/2010
  Q: IS IT A GOOD IDEA TO OPEN A FAST FOOD HOT DOG FRANCHISE IN TEMPLE UNIVERSITY CAMPUS?
  A: Siboram, There is no way to answer this without first answering the following questions. Is there ...
Board game sales3/3/2010
  Q: We have been involved in developing an educatlional board game and and have been marketing to ...
  A: Martin, 60% margin is actually quite good and most retailers would kill for that margin in games! If ...
retail terms3/3/2010
  Q: What is concept store & priority store.what is the basic diffrence between both. Thanks, vismit
  A: Vismit, A concept store is a one off store that a company opens to test a new idea, it can be new ...
NFC technology - The death of cash and its affects on retail.2/17/2010
  Q: With the introduction of NFC phones meaning that by '2015' there will no longer be a need for cash, ...
  A: Nadine, It is not likely that implementation of NFC phone technology will materially change the ...
reaching retailers1/26/2010
  Q: How can I reach retailers, who sell special occasion dresses and bride's maid dresses? What is ...
  A: Vivian, There are many 'markets' where bridal is sold to retailers, one is New York, another is ...
Liquidating at Wholesale cost1/26/2010
  Q: I had a retail store (tableware and furniture) for less than a year. I closed it when I moved to a ...
  A: India, No, you do not need a formal business structure to sell your furniture. Laws do vary from ...
Mark up1/20/2010
  Q: I design and manufacture high quality woolen textiles and then products outwerwear, handbags, ...
  A: Melanie, No, double cost or a 50% markup for manufacturers is not the norm. As the retailer would ...
Markup Heirarchy1/9/2010
  Q: I am in the process of bringing my brand to the market. I am confused on how exactly markup works in ...
  A: Jeremy, The markup structure depends on the item, it can vary wildly depending on the product. For ...
department12/17/2009
  Q: How much should the head of department be involved in the selection process of a trainee?
  A: Neo Kim Poh, The head of a department should be deeply involved with the selection of a trainee. As ...
Clothing export11/29/2009
  Q: Dion, I have some interest in starting an e-business that will buy brand clothes in the US such as ...
  A: Eric, Most US manufacturers have very strict policies about how and where there products may be ...
Margin expected by up market UK retailers on luxury leather goods11/16/2009
  Q: we will shortly be approaching up market retailers in the UK such as Liberty, Selfridges and smaller ...
  A: Loren, Whew, lots of questions. I will answer a few as I make my living my answering most of these! ...
specialty t-shirts11/6/2009
  Q: I, along with my mom and sister, are interested in designing and selling specialty t-shirts. One of ...
  A: Lisa, Yes, it would be illegal for you to sell any item with the likeness of any person living or ...
Starting a business11/3/2009
  Q: A pleasant day to you Mr.James Dion. I am Jeric Tibayan from the Philippines. I'm thinking of ...
  A: I admire your willingness and desire to start your own business and as you are discovering it is not ...
wholesale pricing11/2/2009
  Q: I have a hand painted business that specializes in wine glasses. I am branching out to sell to ...
  A: Donna, Retailers would like to make at least 50% margin on wine glasses. This is a percentage of ...
Taxes and RN number10/30/2009
  Q: Based on my research, clothing and footwear are not taxed under $100 in new york state. But not ...
  A: Kai You would have to call the New York State Revenue Department to get the definitive answer to ...
Retail Pricing10/10/2009
  Q: I have noticed over the last several years that a trend has developed with some of the large ...
  A: Adam, Yes, unfortunately you are right with your observation and some customers continue to fall for ...
Retail Pricing10/1/2009
  Q: I buy wholesale from a supplier. Can that supplier MANDATE what I sell that producr for.
  A: Leslie, Two years ago I would have said no. A recent Supreme Court decision has changed that answer. ...
copyright question9/25/2009
  Q: I am looking to start my own business, but not sure if copyright laws would interfere. I make videos ...
  A: Ashley, Any time you sell a song, video or any "mix" or "re-mix" of an artists work you need to pay ...
Wholesale / Retail Pricing for Shoes9/21/2009
  Q: I need to determine the retail margin / markup on lower end shoes. We are contemplating bringing a ...
  A: Sharon, Most shoe retailers, even "discounters" (with the exception of Walmart) would like a 50% ...
Wholesale Markup9/16/2009
  Q: I recently readed a presantation about Market Trends in Fashion Insustry from 1985 to 2005. This ...
  A: Not having seen the entire pdf file you reference and just looking at the above information I would ...
Retail Pricing9/14/2009
  Q: When taking a product to market, the cost to manufacture, package and ship is easily (relatively ...
  A: Alan Generally a product is not completely new, in other words there are like products out there. ...
Smart Card vs Magnetic Card Technology9/9/2009
  Q: We have a start-up affinity program where customers will get discounts when they present their ...
  A: Tim, Why would a retailer sign up for this? How are you going to sell 5 or even 500 retailers to do ...
export of retail merchandise8/21/2009
  Q: I hope you will be able to at least give me some directions in this matter.I am looking for any ...
  A: Brad, First you have to find customers in Europe to buy what you are selling. You can source product ...
Boutique market In US8/12/2009
  Q: I am interested in fairtrade in Pakistan for people making handmade crafts. I want to know if there ...
  A: Maria, There is a reasonable market but not very large for the type of clothing you are describing. ...
Liquidation8/8/2009
  Q: I'm looking to buy truckloads of surplus,overstock,closeout,shelfpull,returns and salvage ...
  A: Louis, Most retailers clear their old stock themselves through markdowns or moving the merchandise ...
Pricing strategy7/21/2009
  Q: I'm have been leasing space at an antique mall for 6 months. I'm well aware of the reasoning behind ...
  A: Lisa, There has been research that shows that in the customers mind there is no indication in low ...
Demographic information6/26/2009
  Q: I want to open my own Internet Cafe business in Deltona,Florida. How would I go about finding out if ...
  A: Ray, As Wi-Fi has become more available and internet in homes more available the whole business ...
Markup/Import/Leather Goods4/30/2009
  Q: I'm in the process of selling a luxury leather accessory to a major US company.The US company has ...
  A: Anna, Your math calculations are correct but wrong! In the world of retail margins are always ...
NSF Fees4/29/2009
  Q: what amount should/can a business charge for a returned check fee in az?
  A: To my knowledge you can pretty much charge whatever you want as a returned check fee. Banks are ...
New Retail Business4/22/2009
  Q: I have a client who is opening a retail business and is looking for a vendor to purchase merchandise ...
  A: Ashley, It depends on the type of store. For example, most fashion is purchased in New York, ...
selling online to Jamaica4/21/2009
  Q: What kinds of taxes, restrictions, etc. do you think I should expect if I would like to purchase ...
  A: Simone, You will have to check directly with the Jamaican Government about import duties and taxes ...
Ideal wholesale margin4/1/2009
  Q: I want to know if there is such a thing as an ideal or minimal wholesale margin, in other words, an ...
  A: Jose, No, there is no standard wholesale margin, it does depend on operating costs and COGS but also ...
expanding3/13/2009
  Q: Mr. Dion, You helped me with a few questions last week. My business is selling products to ...
  A: Lori, Yes you can send your brochures and order forms to retailers anywhere in the US as long as ...
retail pricing and taxes3/9/2009
  Q: I have created a product that costs me about $1.00 each to make, and I can make about ten in an ...
  A: Lori, To answer your questions in the order you asked them, not knowing what the item is I cannot ...
Starting a business in tough economic climate3/5/2009
  Q: I am considering starting a "Paint your own pottery" shop in a very busy tourist destination. The ...
  A: David, It has been said that the best time to start a business is on the last day of a recession! ...
New Retail Store Design2/28/2009
  Q: I am opening my first retail store and the space is a bit larger than ideal for a jewelry and gift ...
  A: Be very careful about this larger space! You are right that you need to find ways to make less look ...
Avg Household Spending2/21/2009
  Q: I'm trying to find out what the average US household spends in on consumer goods (apparel, books, ...
  A: Jim, You can find the answer to your question on http://www.bls.gov/cex/ which has 2007 data, the ...
Approaching retailers1/15/2009
  Q: I have a product designed and a factory that is ready to fabricate my product. What do I need to ...
  A: Kori, It would take about one hundred pages to tell you what you need to know to be prepared for a ...
Retail representatives - seller's reps1/5/2009
  Q: Happy New Year! I currently sell a small line of housewares online and would like to find away to ...
  A: Kori, The best place to find reps is in New York, Atlanta, Chicago or Dallas. You can contact the ...
Questions on Pricing and Protection of Designs12/18/2008
  Q: Could you please offer advice on several pricing questions on silicone bakeware and also questions ...
  A: Sandra, I will answer part of your question as to answer all of it would be giving away what I do ...
stock to sales12/12/2008
  Q: James, I am wondering how to plan out stock to sales levels for my specialty retail stores for all 3 ...
  A: Stephanie, Understand that these three categories, based on different SKU intensity will likely have ...
Used Mechandized Equipment - Liquidation12/11/2008
  Q: I would like to know or discuss with you in detail how could i liquidate the used equipment exist in ...
  A: Sebastian, There are a lot of variables that I do not know in order to answer your question fully. ...
Rental Question12/2/2008
  Q: Recently moved our 32 year ladies store to new center.Past rents were about 7% of gross. New rent ...
  A: Robert, you are right on the edge with a 14% occupancy cost. You need to talk with the landlord, ...
Travel Retail Growth11/26/2008
  Q: What has been the overall sector growth of travel retail for 2004, 2005, 2006, and 2007...trying to ...
  A: Michael, There is no official sector called travel retail, and to attempt to lump sales of retailers ...
retail outreach10/16/2008
  Q: Do you know of any retailers who are actively reaching out to their customers via phone calls, ...
  A: Gordon, Yes, many of my clients have an active customer out reach program that requires that sales ...
seasonal orders10/15/2008
  Q: can you give me an idea of when retailers usually start purchasing items for a given season (e.g ...
  A: Kori, It depends on the category of merchandise! For example, shoe retailers as well as fashion ...
Mark Up on International Exports10/13/2008
  Q: James, Hi, I am currently working overseas and I have met several people who are interested in ...
  A: Jason, Yes, the markups will vary wildly across merchandise categories and even within a category ...
value addition10/5/2008
  Q: in a niche market segmentation how do you think that we could add value to our customers specially ...
  A: Ash, Almost impossible to answer this when I do not know what type of Department Store you are. Are ...
Debating on Type of Clothing Store to Open10/1/2008
  Q: I have been debating for quite some time on what type of women's apparel store to open. I realize ...
  A: Jennifer, I would go for the plus size business as it has less competition than boomer clothing ...
Masstige growth statistics in US9/30/2008
  Q: I'm doing a report on the growth of "masstige" sector of the skin care market. Could you tell me ...
  A: Susan, There is no common agreement of what the masstige sector of skin care is. The name/category ...
distributing8/7/2008
  Q: Dion, I am starting a business importing planters for hydroculture from Italy. What distribution ...
  A: Toni, With no room for storage your distribution strategies are very limited to say the least. You ...
wholesale markups7/31/2008
  Q: I recently sought the advice of a fellow manufacture concerning wholesale prices. we have been on ...
  A: Brian, Markups are always what the market will bear not always a specific percentage. You are also ...
mark up and margins to retailers7/27/2008
  Q: what is the typical margin/profit that retailers need to make for vanity sinks? if my cost is $100 ...
  A: Ronnie, If it cost you $100 the retailer will need to make at least 40% if not more on retail so if ...
How do I start a boutique with no money7/21/2008
  Q: I am interested in starting a children and maternity clothing boutique in my hometown on the square. ...
  A: Kelly, You could try approaching the small business centers located in larger cities in the U.S. ...
Mark-ups7/21/2008
  Q: What would be the mark-ups and/or margins for golf putters sporting equipment, from the manufactures ...
  A: J.D. It would vary from name brand to name brand and to private label also. Most common is ...
Wholesale/Retail7/15/2008
  Q: I need to know what the proper percentage for wholesale mark up is. I am selling a plastic phone ...
  A: Katie, Although wholesale margins can vary from company to company, you likely need to have at least ...
opening an online boutique7/7/2008
  Q: I am in the process of putting a business plan together for a womans clothing boutique. I decided ...
  A: Vanessa, Your idea of starting on the web before you move to brick and mortar is a good one. ...
Markup Costs??6/19/2008
  Q: Greetings, I would like to know if you can help me with an issue on markups. I have a patented ...
  A: Ken, Most retailers are going to want to make at least 40% margin on an electronic product, so if ...
student from india6/18/2008
  Q: Respected sir, This is sriram, pursuing my MBA @ sri sathya sai ...
  A: Sriram, I generally do not answer homework questions for school! You can find a good white paper on ...
Boutique clothing store6/14/2008
  Q: I am currently putting together a business plan for a university subject. My business idea is for a ...
  A: Olivia, We have four seasons in Chicago too! I also will be in Melbourne in early September. As to ...
A supermarket in USA with volunteer discount5/26/2008
  Q: I've started a small community-shop-like minisupermarket here in Denmark, selling organic foods. The ...
  A: Thomas, Yes there are similar concepts in the US, they are often called co-ops short for cooperative ...
Specialty party supply ebusiness5/6/2008
  Q: I am in the process of planning an ebusiness in which will provide ...
  A: Maria, The first question you have to answer is why. Why would I or any other customer use your ...
Paint Your Own Pottery5/2/2008
  Q: In the paint your own pottery (PYOP) industry, there are a lot of theories on pricing. I would ...
  A: Lisa, One of the oldest concepts in pricing and retail is to price what the market will bear. In ...
Importing and distributing cosmetics5/1/2008
  Q: My husband and I are negotiating with a cosmetic manufacturer in Israel to distribute their product ...
  A: Marna, There are trade organizations for cosmetics, such as the International Esthetics, cosmetics ...
Jewelry Wholesale / Retail4/14/2008
  Q: I'm looking into starting a business to import and resell children's jewelry. Do you know of any ...
  A: Adriana, Yes, there are regulations about the amount of lead and other potentially harmful materials ...
wholesale profit vs retail profit4/10/2008
  Q: I buy shoelaces from Korea at $.22 plus shipping. If I sold to retail chains, how much can I mark up ...
  A: Tracy, the most common terms are net 30 which mean that they will pay you 30 days after the goods ...
Selling in Europe3/30/2008
  Q: I would like to know if there is a market in Europe for used clothing; especially Jeans. I am ...
  A: Tahir, Sorry it took this long to reply. Their is not a large market in Europe for used clothing, ...
How do I determine wholesale price in liquidation/buyout scenarios3/28/2008
  Q: boutique brand children's clothing. I have uncovered an opportunity to buy directly from a ...
  A: Geri, The only way to value any inventory is to start with the market value, not the original cost, ...
licenses/permits need for home based online retail business Chicago3/22/2008
  Q: I am planning to start a home-based online retail business selling apparell and accessories. I am ...
  A: Lauren, You will likely need a generic City of Chicago Business license, it costs $250 for two ...
EBAY STORE3/20/2008
  Q: I set up an ebay store this January 2008...How can I get people into the store...Most sales have ...
  A: Yamilette, I don't know what type of merchandise you are selling. If it is generic like jewelry or ...
Franchising Vs. Business Oportunities3/20/2008
  Q: My fiancee and I are torn between these two: Apricot Lane (Franchise) or Homes Stores Plus (business ...
  A: Yamilette, Franchises offer a benefit to a owner when they provide something that the owner cannot ...
Selling to Boutiqe Shops3/10/2008
  Q: I've recently started an apparel line and have had inquiries from boutique shops interested in ...
  A: Peter, a. as you are the "retailer" as it applies to your web site, the 60% margin you earned is ...
Regarding job post2/23/2008
  Q: I am student of 2-years fulltime MBA Retail Management, what kind of job n post could i get?
  A: Jesal, That depends on what type of retail you want to get into. Some large companies have ...
Regarding the U.S and European markets2/20/2008
  Q: What are the different seasons for the U.S market and the European market? When do the goods hit the ...
  A: Sharon, Holiday is generally the Christmas season and in fashion it is both special occasion as well ...
calculating markdowns2/19/2008
  Q: I am in the process of gathering information to do my financials, budgets, open-to-buy. I am ...
  A: Robin, You do not need to add markdowns as they are at retail value and have no material effect on ...
Merchandise from China2/7/2008
  Q: I met a man from China who is going to college here in the USA who sales items his family makes in ...
  A: Diana, Does he sell these items to companies who then re-sell or use them? Or does he sell direct ...
Wholesale2/6/2008
  Q: James, I guess in regards to my last question I have found a price point where I will obtain a 60% ...
  A: Terry, Unless your name is Armani or Lauren you are not likely to get 50% on wholesale! Much more ...
Clothing retail markups2/6/2008
  Q: I am looking into creating a clothing label which focuses on luxury mens dress shirts. I will be ...
  A: Terry, A better question would be, why would someone pay you $190 for the shirt? Is it a name brand? ...
Licensing for online retail store and E-Bay sales2/3/2008
  Q: I'm trying to open a online store and sell my products on E-Bay. I'm not sure about licensing that ...
  A: Harold, Unless you are carrying some very specific items (guns, ammunition etc.) you should not need ...
Price justification2/1/2008
  Q: Today we had a customer come in who complained about the price of a particluar item. She saw it ...
  A: Robert, You are so right. She is buying Travel Essentials and all that you do for your customers. Do ...
i need help1/29/2008
  Q: how will i go by starting my own clothing store financial wise?
  A: Malcom, It depends on what type of clothing and if you will be in a mall or storefront. You can ...
CPA's1/27/2008
  Q: Dion, Christina again. I am meeting with some CPA's this week and was wondering if you can tell me ...
  A: Christina, About $60 to $80 per hour is what you should be looking at for a good CPA. I would limit ...
EIN1/23/2008
  Q: I have another question about the EIN. Why do I have to have both a tax ID number and an EIN? Can't ...
  A: Christina, Some suppliers will accept a tax ID number (which is often issued by the state) but many ...
EIN1/22/2008
  Q: My husband and I are opening a small clothing store in Tennessee. We will be the only employees. Do ...
  A: Christina, Are you setting up the business as a corporation? As an LLC or partnership? I would ...
Which to do and how?1/21/2008
  Q: I would like to open my own business. I have never done so before and would like some advice about ...
  A: Rose, Starting a retail business today is not very easy. Banks almost never loan money for new ...
cost of lease and % of sales1/18/2008
  Q: Ok so I'm in the process of completing a business plan for retail childrens store. I have looked at ...
  A: Julie, There is no way that 36% is acceptable. You will set yourself up for bankruptcy in a very ...
Margin1/17/2008
  Q: When you refer to margin of 60 % for retailer do you refer to mark up on cost (meaning the gross ...
  A: Denis, Margin in retail is always expressed as a percentage of retail selling price, never cost. So, ...
Starting a Home Accent Boutique - Start -up Question1/13/2008
  Q: I am in the planning stages of opening a Boutiqe that sells artwork, lamps, rugs, and hand crafted ...
  A: the highest concentration of home suppliers is in New York and Chicago. You can search them out on ...
6 Month Merchandising Plan / Open to Buy1/12/2008
  Q: I'm in the process of opening a childrens retail shop. I'm having some trouble completing my 6 month ...
  A: Julie, Your EOM is decided by you based on what inventory turn number you are trying to achieve. ...
Is Restaurant Business a Retail Business?1/9/2008
  Q: The question is quite simple - does owning some restaurants mean I'm in a "Retail Business"? If not ...
  A: Ash, Technically you are not in the retail business, you are in the restaurant business. Although ...
Getting Retail Stores as Clients by Mail Out from Australia1/4/2008
  Q: I am producing a line of New Age oriented art bookmarks I'd like to get sold in retail stores across ...
  A: Nelson, you have a very interesting business plan, unfortunately for every 100 you mail you will be ...
math homework need to b answer asap12/31/2007
  Q: What is the difference between markup and markup rate?
  A: Danielle, Markup is the amount added to cost to determine selling price (the technical definition) ...
clothing question12/28/2007
  Q: Good morning. My name is Craig Almaguer. I've started a clothing line geared toward the active ...
  A: Craig, I am sorry for the delay in responding, I am traveling in Italy at the moment. When you say ...
Wholesale to Retail Markup12/19/2007
  Q: I am importing a new product into the US market. It's an electopneumatic jack. An automobile jack ...
  A: Roly, A retailer will expect at least a 35 margin on this item (that is 35 of selling price) and ...
Diversity in Fashion Merchandising12/13/2007
  Q: Mr Dion, I am currently a Fashion Merchandising student and I am working on a project trying to find ...
  A: Cassie, The concept of diversity in fashion is more around inclusion of people of color or race and ...
inventory12/12/2007
  Q: I don't have any experience in the retail business and I am learning a lot here. Is there an ideal ...
  A: Lisa, Be very wary, most stores carry way too much inventory and much of it is not even salable. ...
Market Research12/3/2007
  Q: My question is two-fold: A) I am in the process of writing a b-plan for my apparel store. I am ...
  A: Jennifer, There are few retail business that have a higher failure rate than womenswear. Having said ...
fashion sells in Europe12/2/2007
  Q: I would like to export clothes to Europe ( Ireland) , I would like to know : - when do they launch ...
  A: Joana, Depends on what you mean by launch. Retailers generally buy their fall collections about six ...
Retail mark up11/27/2007
  Q: i am thinking of buying wellness oils from the U.S. to sell to retail customers in Australia and ...
  A: Penny, generally speaking it will depend on how much infrastructure you need to set up for this ...
Retail markup by industry11/18/2007
  Q: How can I find a list of retail markup % by industry? My husband won't let me buy new lamps because ...
  A: Deb, If you go to www.retailowner.com and go to the financial tools and tips page, you will find on ...
wholesale price of my item for the retailers11/13/2007
  Q: I am planning on buying shower curtains from a manufactures in CHINA to sell in AUSTRALIA in major ...
  A: Eugene, a 1.5 cost and a 15 retail sounds a little out of whack. The 2 cost you describe, is that ...
apparel markup11/8/2007
  Q: Is there a "fairly typical" markup in apparel from wholesale cost to retail price that is a general ...
  A: Michele, Depends on the style! If it is a basic item, no markdowns due to fashion, then a 45% ...
re: markups11/7/2007
  Q: Is it better to sell a product through a distributor and get access instantly to alot of sellers and ...
  A: Matty, a distributor will not guarantee you instant access, they may not even show your items to ...
re: markups11/5/2007
  Q: I want a concrete example: say hypothetically speaking i sell pencils- it costs me 30 cents to ...
  A: Matty, If you have exclusivity you can charge what you like. At a $3.50 retail the wholesaler would ...
Vendor contact11/5/2007
  Q: I have written a book about weight loss, actually it is only one page, says "Eat less food." It ...
  A: Jim, all great ideas, produce some with all the pages filled with the same phrase, and some with ...
Best Business Entity for Clothing Store10/28/2007
  Q: I am opening a women's apparel store in Chicago. The long-term goal is to have multiple stores ...
  A: Jennifer, I would argue to establish a new LLC or even a corporation, either a full C or an S. If ...
mark up for cosmetics - creams and lotions10/26/2007
  Q: I am currently working on buying health and wellness products, (lotions, creams, aromatherapy ...
  A: Sue, The "normal" markup for this type of product is in the 50% range, even more if possible, as ...
keystoning and retailers10/24/2007
  Q: I'm bringing a laptop computer accessory (mechanical) to market soon. I wanted to know what the ...
  A: Marie, On computer accessories the "big box" retailers like to make at least 40% on selling price ...
Makeup Store9/7/2007
  Q: my wife and I own a makeup boutique in a high end retail district. We have only opened a three ...
  A: Hovick, One of the best ways to get customers in is to offer free makeup consultations, give free ...
Clothing mark up and leasing question9/4/2007
  Q: I am considering opening an upscale woman's fashion boutique and I have some questions/concerns. I ...
  A: Don, There are so many variables in your question that it is hard to answer. Generally a high end ...
sales tax charged on e-bay purchase8/31/2007
  Q: I purchased $310.99 of cosmetics on e-bay from a seller in Georgia. They charged me sales tax at ...
  A: Sue, If they are not answering your emails that is not a good sign. However, sales tax has to be ...
Why won't certain brands sell to me?8/29/2007
  Q: I own a retail store in a very wealthy area. My closest competitor is 8 miles away in a not so ...
  A: Andrew, I have bad news for you. These brands are completely within the law in choosing who they ...
Sign the lease or obtain merchandise agreements first?8/23/2007
  Q: My brother and I are in the process of starting a men's retail clothing store geared to the 16-28 ...
  A: Dominic, Manufacturers of brands have a very keen interest in making sure that their brand is sold ...
retail failure8/23/2007
  Q: Is it true that retail has a high percentage of failure in relation to other forms of businesses and ...
  A: Dimitris, I am not sure that retail has a higher percentage of failure than other businesses. If you ...
Pizza Delivery Charges8/22/2007
  Q: The trend lately has been to tack on a few dollars to the driver. I can accept paying for the value ...
  A: Jim, There is no standard on this. Many companies add a delivery charge that fully covers the cost ...
Opening a retail Business8/17/2007
  Q: I have an idea for a retail business but I still need to do much research. I am thinking of having ...
  A: Lori, I understand what you are saying, but the addition of these items, although they may ...
WHOLESALE PRICING8/12/2007
  Q: I was wondering what the typical mark-up is from wholesale to retail for consumer houseware products ...
  A: Dan, Depending on the source, where it is made and which brand, anywhere from 30% to 50% for the ...
Retail Mailing List8/4/2007
  Q: I once owned a maternity store and received a lot of mail from wholesalers advertising their ...
  A: Carlene, likely they bought the list from a mailing list company that got your name from what are ...
Selling wholesale to retailers8/4/2007
  Q: my question is im planning to sell my mercahndise wholesale to retailers and I want to know how much ...
  A: Lyle, Finding retailers to buy your product will be the challenge. They will expect at least a 50% ...
manufacture-wholsale-retail markups8/3/2007
  Q: Can you recommend any relatively current dated books/websites/references that reveal estimated % ...
  A: Dale, The variance by item can be so much that there is no solid rule of thumb. I the scenario you ...
difference between markup and margin in retail bss7/4/2007
  Q: what is the difference between markup and margin in pricing in retail business
  A: Ralph, technically they are the same, markup is the amount you add to cost to determine the selling ...
Buying a business7/1/2007
  Q: I am interested in buying a business in the supplement industry and a new mall is being proposed ...
  A: If there is a significant chance that the new mall would contain a direct competitor this could be a ...
Wholesale markup5/31/2007
  Q: I have just started a jewelry business to sell retail. I purchase directly from the company. What ...
  A: Dena, the desired mark up for jewelry retailers is 60%, so if you are selling to retailers and you ...
Book business start-up5/30/2007
  Q: James, I hope you can give me some advice. I have NO experience in this field whatsoever (and ...
  A: Blue, The first question you have to ask is why would people buy a book from you and not Amazon or ...
Retail Profit5/14/2007
  Q: I'm stuck on this one... Markup for retail clothing..I'm sure you get it all the time. I'm ...
  A: Darla, If you buy it for $30 and sell for $60 you get $60 from which $30 is used to pay for the ...
retail mark-up for jewelry & boutique listings5/10/2007
  Q: I am starting an upscale jewelry design business. Normally, what percentage mark-up will an upscale ...
  A: Anna, Usually a Jewelry store will require a 65% markup on items, especially new ones. So on a $300 ...
fashion sales in Europe4/28/2007
  Q: I would like to know what are the selling seasons for apparel market in Europe? What is the best way ...
  A: The selling seasons for apparel in Europe are very similar to the US, there are warm climates in ...
Retail markup and breaking even4/13/2007
  Q: If a person is just starting out like my husband and I are, how do you make a profit when, the ...
  A: Jami, retail margins can vary from 14% (Costco) to 65% (Abercrombie). Most retailers do not even ...
Retail Business Information Please?4/12/2007
  Q: My name is Michael, and I need to know, because I'm stuck on this one is that... What are the ...
  A: Michael, I don't understand most of your question. The resources for a retail business are the same ...
US Retail Apparel Segmentation10/12/2006
  Q: James, I have seen global data with regards to apparel segmentation on the basis of womenswear, ...
  A: Eric, Yes, there is data available on these breakdowns but it has to be purchased! Womens Wear ...
Retail9/10/2006
  Q: Can you tell me what are the buying trends in the US and is the retail market increasing or ...
  A: Jerrica, The answer to your question on buying trends would take a few hours. The question is far ...
fashion design9/5/2006
  Q: I am so lost. I want to come out with a shoe and clothing line and have no idea on where or how to ...
  A: Nicole, As to your question about Russell and Sean, no as far as I know they did not attend any ...
International expansion strategies and models for ecommerce1/28/2006
  Q: I manage an ecommerce social enterprise that distributes donated and discounted technology products ...
  A: Rebecca, This is somewhat outside my area of expertise in retail! I would suspect that there are ...
CUSTOMER TRENDS WITH WRAPPING PAPER12/7/2005
  Q: Mr. Dion, I'm trying to find out if experts in the retail industry think that customers would ...
  A: Nicole, There would be a market for this product if it was priced right and also carried an ...
US Apparel Market10/6/2005
  Q: Could you please tell me what the market shares are for the 10 top US retailers? I am only ...
  A: Allison, there are no accurate statistics available for what you are asking. The top retailers, ...
Business in Pharmacy9/19/2005
  Q: I will end my pharmacy education within the mid. of the next month. Then i want to start my own ...
  A: Usman. You do not say if you want to stay in Pakistan. There is a shortage of Pharmacists in the ...
market saturation study in my area8/25/2005
  Q: I want to open my own business. I want to be sure that the market is not already saturated with ...
  A: Virgina, What type of business? I am assuming that it is retail as you asked me the question. If it ...
business7/12/2005
  Q: i am apart of the state farm business camp and me and my group have to make a business plan and then ...
  A: Roy, I appreciate that you are in a tight spot, but what you request would take almost a book! What ...
international business6/13/2005
  Q: My name is ali alibakhshi and I live in Tehran capital of Iran. I start a business and I have bellow ...
  A: Ali, You did not state any of your credentials, why would a company want to use you for their needs? ...
trends/demographics in USA re: donut business/kids2/19/2005
  Q: Jim: Just thought I would take a chance and run by you the following: I am a professional business ...
  A: John, Although any business has a chance of working, with the current climate towards feeding kids ...
money1/9/2005
  Q: How much money did walmart make in 2004? and how much money did target make in 2004? how much money ...
  A: John, As these are all public companies you can go to www.hoovers.com and look up their annual ...
Fashion12/12/2004
  Q: I am planning to create my own brand name, start selling 'purse' I designed, I found several ...
  A: What you are asking is what I do for a living! I am not opposed to answering questions, but what you ...
hello10/22/2004
  Q: http://www.cioinsight.com/article2/0,1397,1456958,00.asp Thank you so much! by the way do you also ...
  A: The article is about the use of technology at 99 cent stores and how they use a special software to ...
changes in values, interests8/26/2004
  Q: James, Currently, I'm working on a business plan for a company that will publish and distribute ...
  A: Rebecca, sorry for the delay in answering you. First you have to define your target market by age, ...
Retailer attitudes about direct response advertising6/25/2004
  Q: I'm a freelance writer working with Response Magazine (trade pub for advertising executives) on what ...
  A: Doug, I don't think that most retailers are particularly aware of direct response TV if it is the ...
Are salespersons born or made?5/29/2004
  Q: Mr. Dion, I have started reading a excerpt from your book "Retail Selling Aint' Brain Surgery It's ...
  A: Michael, Sorry for the delay in answering this! You submitted it on a Saturday and I just saw it ...
halloween retail sales11/22/2003
  Q: I'm trying to find data about how Halloween is becoming big business in this country, including ...
  A: Karen, Sales figures by month are available on the US Commerce site or the NRF.com site. These only ...
% increase of sales10/8/2003
  Q: James, Historically when non-food retail sales are up 5% do you know how much % increase the ...
  A: Benji, If retail sales are up 5% so also wholesale will be up the same percent. Even though one is ...
Retail Sector - DIY/Furniture/White Goods9/10/2003
  Q: Can you give me an idea as to who are the leading US companies in the above retail sector and what ...
  A: Mike, The top three are Home Depot, Lowes and Sears. Secondary players would be Menards and other ...
Startup amount1/13/2003
  Q: Im looking to open up my own retail store specailizing in trendy womens clothing. I just wanted to ...
  A: Depending on the type of store and location it will cost you from $80,000 to $170,000 to open the ...

All Questions in This Category

General Retail Business Issues

James E. Dion

Top Expert on this page