General Stock Investment Strategies/stocks

Hi Michael- Im Russ. I set aside about $20 K last year and put it all into individual stocks...good stocks like Gilead, Apple, Disney, HP, Altria, BABA and a few others. I also bought some biotech penny stocks with good potential. I own about 20-25 stocks total.  thing is now im starting to think that it may not be good to have so much in individual stocks; i would say 15% of my total portfolio is individual stocks and i have them in my IRAs and most in my personal investment account.  I also have about 35% of my portfolio in cash and a separate money market.  Im really waiting on a market crash so i can pump all the free money into the market, but am wondering if i should still keep all my stocks or reduce the load a bit in the event that there is a big crash on the way.  Any advice would be appreciated.  Im now 40, single and dont plan on retiring until 70.  thanks for listening!

Keep in my mind that I do not provide people with any personalized investment advice.  You would need to seek the help of an investment adviser representative.

This is a market timing question.  I do not think that market timing is a good approach for most investors. One can say that broad indexes of stocks have returned about 11% historically over long periods of time. However, returns can vary greatly over the short term, especially for a small group of stocks.  I can't predict whether now is a good or bad time for your particular group of stocks.

You should form an investment plan based on your investment objectives and constraints.  Investors should consider time horizon, risk tolerance, liquidity needs, tax situation, etc. Typically, the longer the time horizon, the greater the risk tolerance.  Risk tolerance, however, is based on your ability and willingness to take risk. Your willingness does not appear to be very high, at least at the moment.  

General Stock Investment Strategies

Michael Weiss, CFA

I can answer most questions about stock investment strategies, especially those related to value and growth

I am the owner of Series 7 Exam Tutor , a financial tutoring business that provides personalized tutoring for the Series 7 Exam, the Series 6 Exam ,the Series 65 Exam, the Series 66 Exam, the Series 63 Exam and the Series 24 Exam . I also offer tutoring for finance courses. For additional information, please visit, Finance Exam Tutor. Prior to launching Series 7 Exam Tutor, I worked in investments for 20 years with the majority of this time focused on investment analysis and portfolio management. I have worked for large companies such as Merrill Lynch and Evergreen Investments and have also worked for smaller firms as well. Throughout my career, I have sought to mentor younger colleagues whenever possible, especially those enrolled in the CFA program. I completed the CFA program in 2002 after passing all three exams on the first try. I also passed the Series 7 Exam with a score of 94%. For additional information about me, you can visit the links below:

CFA Institute and CFA Society of Philadelphia

M.B.A. in Finance & Investments from the Zicklin School of Business at Baruch College and a B.A. in Finance & Economics from the City University of New York Baccalaureate Program.