General Stock Investment Strategies/Break Even Stock Price

How is the break even price determined for multiple stock or  exchange traded fund purchases for the same company or for the same ETF?

For example, an investor purchases 100 shares of XYZ company for $50.25/share and another 75 shares for $50.10/share and another 50 shares for %50.00/share.  The buy and sell commission is $10.00. What is his break even sale price for the 225 shares and how is it determined?

For the first hundred shares it would be 100 shares X $50.25/share + $10.00 to buy + $10.00 to sell divided by 100 shares.

$5025 + $20.00 divided by 100 shares = $5045/100 = $50.45, break even price; however, I am not sure that this is correct.
If the investor buys 75 more shares and 50 more shares of XYZ company at the prices indicated above, what then is the break even price?

I thank you for your reply.

Your break even is at whatever price it takes to make your money back.  

You add all of the money needed to buy shares + commissions.  This equals your cost basis.

When your sales proceeds ((shares x price) - commissions)) - your cost basis equals zero, you at the break even value.  Then take the sales proceeds and divide it by the number the shares to get a break even price.

I hope this helps.

General Stock Investment Strategies

Michael Weiss, CFA

I can answer most questions about stock investment strategies, especially those related to value and growth

I am the owner of Series 7 Exam Tutor , a financial tutoring business that provides personalized tutoring for the Series 7 Exam, the Series 6 Exam ,the Series 65 Exam, the Series 66 Exam, the Series 63 Exam and the Series 24 Exam . I also offer tutoring for finance courses. For additional information, please visit, Finance Exam Tutor. Prior to launching Series 7 Exam Tutor, I worked in investments for 20 years with the majority of this time focused on investment analysis and portfolio management. I have worked for large companies such as Merrill Lynch and Evergreen Investments and have also worked for smaller firms as well. Throughout my career, I have sought to mentor younger colleagues whenever possible, especially those enrolled in the CFA program. I completed the CFA program in 2002 after passing all three exams on the first try. I also passed the Series 7 Exam with a score of 94%. For additional information about me, you can visit the links below:

CFA Institute and CFA Society of Philadelphia

M.B.A. in Finance & Investments from the Zicklin School of Business at Baruch College and a B.A. in Finance & Economics from the City University of New York Baccalaureate Program.