General Surgery/bilateral inguinal hernia

Question
QUESTION: I am a 54 year old male. I was recently diagnosed with a bilateral inguinal hernia. The Dr was a general practitioner that gave me the diagnosis. This condition came on slowly. I don't remember slipping or lifting something to cause this. At this time I have no pain, also I don't have any trouble urinating. I do notice a slight burning sensation slightly going down my right side if I start doing a lot of activity. It will stop if I lay down on my side or back. How serious is this condition ? How long can a person wait until they get a surgery ? I am very anxious about this ! How soon should I see a general surgeon ?
Thank You !
Doug.

ANSWER: Dear Doug,

Your symptoms decide when surgery needs to take place. A hernia is a weakness of the abdominal wall. A part of the intestine, usually the small intestine, gets caught in this weakened area. It becomes a medical emergency if the intestine becomes strangled. In other words, the abdominal wall tightens around the piece of intestine that is protruding through. Blood supply is cut off due to strangulation and the intestine is considered incarcerated. It is rare, but not impossible.

Generally, the surgery is not emergent and is done laparoscopically or with small incisions. In order to prevent a reoccurrence, mesh is placed between the intestine and the abdominal wall.

Eventually surgery will be necessary. Setting up an appointment with a surgeon now will give you peace of mind and a better idea of when the surgery should take place on order to avoid unnecessary complications.

Hope this answered your questions. Wishing you all the best.

QUESTION: Hello, I seen the general surgeon a few days ago. He said I had a double inguinal hernia. He recommended either a open surgery using a mesh or a laparascopic surgery using a mesh also. How do I decide which is best ? A Dr Peterson on the web say never get a mesh ! I am leaning towards a laparascopic surgery with a mesh, what do you recommend for a double surgery ? The mayo clinic recommends a laparascopic with a double. Lastly my doctor say he does approximately 2 of these surgeries a month, he has been in business for around 10 years, do you think he has enough experience ?
Thank You.
Doug.

Answer
Dear Doug,

No. I do not think he has enough experience. In the Department of surgery, the surgeons do these types of surgeries 3 or more a week, and this is in a small hospital. Do not do anything in haste. Be sure you research the surgeon you choose very well. They should have at least one to two days per week that they do nothing but surgery after surgery. 8-10 hours of surgery a day.

I hope this helps..

General Surgery

Dr. Pamela M. Cipriano, DNP, ACNP-BC