General Surgery/Incisional hernia repair

Question
I had hernia surgery May of 2011. About 4 weeks after surgery I had about 2 areas where i had a painful pinching,burning sensation, and my upper abdominal was sore and very bloated. I did see the Dr. a few times about this. On one visit, He gave me an injection in the most painful area, said this happens sometimes. The second time i went back complaining of the same thing and asked about this bloatness, He said, the bloating is normal and should go away. My question is. Its been about 1 1/2 years since my surgery and my upper abdomen is still very bloated and has sore ares, Is this normal? What should I do? TY Robin

Answer
Dear Robin,

Did you have laparoscopic or open hernia repair? The reason I ask is because with laparoscopic surgery, gas is needed to inflate the abdomen to be able to view the organs through the fiber optic lens. It is also necessary to inflate the abdomen in order to keep the muscles away fom the organs to use the laparoscopic instruments successfully.

With that said, after 1 week or less, the gas has dissipated. 1 1/2 years later, the abdominal bloating has nothing to do with the surgery. If you can send me more information regarding the surgery that would be helpful. Also include any illnesses or comorbidities you have, how tall you are, and how much you weigh.  

General Surgery

Dr. Pamela M. Cipriano, DNP, ACNP-BC