General Surgery/L middle finger laceration

I'm a RDA/Scrub Tech., so I will tell you I make a horrible patient. Thank you in advance for your expert opinion.

Last night I sliced the top of my L middle finger, middle knuckle, approx 6mm in length.  I'm not certain of the depth however if I bent my finger even six hours later it would bleed as if newly injured.  I looked up the anatomy of that finger, and as I suspected, there is a vein that runs right over where I sliced it.

The slice was with a surgical stainless kitchen knife, newly sharpened, so this was a decent laceration.  I felt it needed 2-3 sutures, but opted against it because I wasn't sure if I would need surgery on the vein?  Can this repair itself?  It's not bleeding anymore but I haven't tried or wanted to bend it just in case.  

There is no abnormal swelling, weeping, oozing, odor around site and color is WNL.  Finger has full sens, cap refill is WNL.  Pain scale is a 3.  Ibuprofen 800mg PRN.

I have taken all preventative measures as far as cleansing the site, and applying a sterile dressing it with a immobilizing two-finger wrap.  

Your thoughts?

Dear Danielle,

Without examining it, this answer is purely an educated guess. Sutures are used solely for the purpose of proper healing and keeping the wound clean. Provided it is healing correctly, you should be ok. After 24 hours, I do not suture for the main reason that any bacteria will not be able to escape. Be sure your tetanus shot is up to date.

General Surgery

Dr. Pamela M. Cipriano, DNP, ACNP-BC

GENERAL SURGERY Intestinal obstructions; Perforations; Ostomy; End ileostomy; Hemicolectomy; Take down ileostomy; Ostomy reversals; Diverticulitis; Chrohns Disease; Appendectomy; Cholecystectomy (gallbladder); Ventral hernia repair; Inguinal hernia repair; Umbilical hernia repair; Chest tubes; Pleurex catheters; Lobe-ectomy; Pneumonectomy; Thoracotomy; Pleuradesis; Thyroid surgery; Mastectomy; Lumpectomy LAPAROSCOPIC - LAPAROTOMY - LAPAROSCOPIC ASSISTED

My name is Dr. Cipriano. I am a Hospitalist on the Medical Staff. I round, admit, discharge, consult and assist with surgeries in the OR. I manage patients in the ICU and Med/Surg floors. I also work in the emergency department. I am certified critical care nurse (CCRN). And ACLS certified. I

Society of Hospital Medicine American College of Nurse Practitioners Connecticut Advance Practice Registered Nurse Society

Maryville University 2014-2016 Doctor of Nursing Practice University of Connecticut 2007-2011 MSN, Acute Care Track Nurse Practitioner. Board Certified September 2011 Central Connecticut State University 2002-2006 BA Psychology St. Mary's Hospital School of Nursing 1991-1993 Diploma Nursing Registered Nurse