General Surgery/Scar tissue

Question
After five years of lower right quadrant abdominal pain, numerous tests, scans, etc. I finally found a surgeon willing to do an exploratory surgery to see what was going on. In August 2012 he found that I had some very inflamed scar tissue that had adhered my right ovary to the abdominal wall, probably as a result from a previous hysterectomy and cholecystectomy. He did what he could to break up the tissue.  He also removed my appendix as long as he was there.  (Pathology later showed that there was an 8mm carcinoid tumor in the tip of the appendix, so it would have had to come out eventually, anyway. The oncologist I followed up with said there was no need for further testing, as the tumor was so small.)

The pain is returning.  Is there anything that can be done to permanently deal with the scar tissue?  Or am I destined for occasional operations to break up the tissue, only to have it return within a few months?

Answer
Dear Pam,

Scar tissue is a by-product of surgery. There is no benefit to it, and each time surgery is performed, more scar tissue is formed. Some people develop scar tissue more readily than others. The surgeon you found did you a great favor by performing the exploratory surgery. Although he corrected the problems he found, you will, however, form more scar tissue, and there is no way to prevent it.

There is no way to prevent the scar tissue already in your body; avoiding further surgeries will prevent further scar tissue from forming.  

General Surgery

Dr. Pamela M. Cipriano, DNP, ACNP-BC